Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-27-2007, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

19HP Kaw FH580V Problems

New to the site, but have been doing some reading. Bought a new toro zmaster over the weekend. Brought it home, checked all fluids, gassed up and started to mow. Ran great for like 15 minutes and then the engine started surging, loss of power wanted to die etc...In reading, have seen one other post that this happened to a new owner. Gonna check all of the normal suggestions, but was hoping that someone would be kind enough to post the exploded diagram of the carb for this engine as I have seen in many other surge related posts. Sucks that it happened so soon, but hope to right the ship and get to mowin'. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Like this ?

Really isn't that much to this carb, But spray through ALL ports and passages with carb & choke spray cleaner with the little straw followed by compressed air if available.

You may want to check both coils and make sure they are firing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 08-27-2007, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks restrorob. I had a feeling you would provide the diagram. However, before I make it this far, I wanted to clarify and go over the symptoms and what I am seeing. This evening I got back on it to make exactly sure that it is what it is, as the machine has a whopping 4hrs on it. Called the dealer and as he stated bad gas has no time table. I am not familiar with how the fuel is drawn to the carb for this machine (ie fuel pump?) but when it started acting up after reaching operating temp. again, I immediately hopped off and looked around. I'm not certain, but the little inline fuel filter shouldn't be empty. Gas is on (I DID check this much) but the little cylinder that holds the filter was only about a third of the way full. Any help on where to point me next would be of great assistance as I am going to start chasing the fuel line back. Will check the coils and plugs as well. Thanks again.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

First check your gas tank cap and make sure it's venting properly. These fuel filters do not have to be full for the engine to run properly.

The only other thing I would suggest you do since the unit is sooo new is drain the fuel tank and check for trash, Flush the fuel lines and replace the fuel filter anyway.

Then only drop the float bowl on the carb (without taking the carb off) and check for any trash. Spray carb cleaner through the center area where the fuel cut-off solenoid or bowl nut screws in then reassemble and add fresh fuel.

If this does not solve the problem that covers the non warranty "Bad fuel" part. Take it back to the dealer and let them deal with it.

You should not be having to work on a brand new mower....

If you fool around in the wrong place they could void a warranty repair and charge you.
Quote:
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 08-27-2007, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Nevermind on the fuel filter. Cleaned carb, put back together, same result. Checking plugs and coils. One question (maybe stupid) why does the dadblamed thing run fine until it reaches full operating temp? This is when things start to go bad. Just wondering.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A coil getting hot and breaking down, That was the reason/suggestion on taking it back to the dealer....
Quote:
Old 08-27-2007, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Will Do. Thank You