Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-09-2001, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Help with Brush Clearing Bid

Thinking of placing a bid with a local gov't agency on clearing some brush lines. All large trees will stay. Brush is thick in most places. All trees that are cut and brush has to be cut even with the ground so it can be mowed over. Do not need to grade anything. Seed and straw has to be put down after cleanup. All brush and debri has to be removed. 4 locations, each approxiametely 50 feet wide and 600 yards long. Figured best bet would be to rent a chipper and use a dump trailer to haul off. Anyone tackeled a job of this size? Any help with price is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Daren
Old 11-11-2001, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

AS far as brush cuttin jobs I like to figure about 40.hr. then add rental ... But it depends on terrain too if its steep I bid em way up there. If they don`t call back then ... How about rubble or stuff that`l ruin a tire? I`d have to start off at say 40. a man hour add equipment rental. Once again, thats if it acessable so I can get in and out of there .Another thing is how thick is thick because even with achipper goin if it`s that thick probrably need a small dozer.
Old 11-12-2001, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do lots of work like this.

You didn't say what you have available to use. IMO, the best way is to get a brush mower (you can rent one) or a bush-hog if there is room. I use a Bachtold mower, and it will clear about half an acre an hour. It's easy to get around trees and such, and will take down small saplings (over 1" thick) in one pass. You can also use a trimmer with a blade.

I have a small (8hp) chipper and run the debris through it on site when necessary. It's time consuming, so a bigger machine is better.

This is the type of mower I use:

http://www.bachtoldbros.com/products...eedcutters.asp

Endless Summer Lawn Care
Portsmouth, VA

Last edited by eslawns; 11-12-2001 at 10:43 AM.