Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-01-2007, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys...I'm going to try and fix it up Monday. I had to take today off so I'll be out working just about all day tomorrow.

I ended up picking up a nice Toro 6.5 GTS (it's not commercial, but it's really nice) -- self-propelled, side discharge, mulcher, bagger, rubber wheels, I'm in love. This thing ripped right through some thick grass and spit it out, I love side discharge.

It was either that or a used lawnboy 2-stroke commercial for $399...and only a 60 day warranty. Or a John Deere zero-turn with two broken wheels and one that didn't turn for $150 and no warranty.

But I'm going to get it all apart again this Monday and get it fully ripped down, take some photos just in case and soak it overnight. If I get it running, I'll fix up my buddy's for him also...same engine.

The one thing I did notice was that it seems to have some quality parts in it. I've taken apart so many carbs in the past and sprayed them out and everything worked fine after that, and ended up using a lot of RTV on a lot of stuff because they used the cheap gaskets...the briggs seems to have all rubber gaskets that are re-useable, except for right where the carb bolts onto the intake.

--

After looking at mowers for the past few days, I'm dying for one of those nice riding mowers with the zero turn (not the tractor style) -- and a few nice accounts. Sitting on one of those, mowing a few acres would be like a day off for me from what I'm used to.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

is that toro afflicted with the Tecumseh engine? If so I would have stayed away from it. I'm pretty sure Tecumseh is Indian for "Big old pile of poopy" The old engines were ok, but there new stuff, no bueno. Most of the time with a gunk-ed carb, i just take the carb cleaner can, stick the straw into the main jet (where the float bowl nut goes) and spray. The pointy thing you referred to is the needle and seat. Spray some carb cleaner in there. Flush the tank and lines, make sure the plug is good, and off you should go. Oh, and don't use 93 octane in it. Those motors are designed for 87-89 octane. The additives in the 93 is what helps it run better. Save some money, buy a can of seafoam, and put a capfull into your gas cans. You'll get the same effect.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Happens View Post
is that toro afflicted with the Tecumseh engine? If so I would have stayed away from it. I'm pretty sure Tecumseh is Indian for "Big old pile of poopy" The old engines were ok, but there new stuff, no bueno.
Ahh man don't tell me that. Oh well, 2 year warranty, parts and labor. I may just start getting accounts now for next year and finance a real machine...the more I read about grass cutting, the more I want to do it...I'm going to start mentioning it to all my customers for next season.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Be careful, its is possible to make good money cutting grass, but you have to know you operating costs very well, because its razor-thin margins. Keep your overhead low, don't screw up to much and you might end up OK.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Happens View Post
Be careful, its is possible to make good money cutting grass, but you have to know you operating costs very well, because its razor-thin margins. Keep your overhead low, don't screw up to much and you might end up OK.
What he said, this is an agricultural service business, think of the farmer's plight before you come here, it's not that different in many ways... A lot of hard work for a little money or only a little bit of work for more money... Despite some claims here, I'd say the average solo Lco grosses 35k a year and that's doing good, net might be 12-15k at best, expenses rip us up and don't forget drought and heat make for slow years.

The benefit is I get to dump 50 gallons of fuel in my stuff and act like it's nothing, but it's an act because I have no choice. Take a day off anytime, you know, be your own boss, you get the drift but more and more, an Lco is one of those careers... No offense to anyone but it's kinda like, yeah, you know, if you can't think of anything else to do, if no other career option appeals to you then go ahead, cut some grass... I don't care for it when someone thinks of me as a loser, but I kinda see why some might think that way.
So no miracles for sure, it has its benefits but don't count on much and you'll be fine.

Watch out for married women.
And funny people

Last edited by topsites; 09-02-2007 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deapee View Post
Oh well, 2 year warranty, parts and labor.
No commercial/income producing use warranty on a machine like that. So, Oh Well, no warranty.