Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-31-2007, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Lesco Hps Front Axle Bearings

I replaced the front axle bearings on both my machines today. I found high quality bearings with rubber seals front & back, much higher quality than factory. I get about 6 rounds out of bearings on these machines, looking to get 10, the lime apps take a toll on the bearings for sure!
Old 09-01-2007, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn king View Post
I replaced the front axle bearings on both my machines today. I get about 6 rounds out of bearings on these machines, looking to get 10, the lime apps take a toll on the bearings for sure!
Good luck with the HPS or Huge Piece of $*** as we lovingly call it, I have some companies that have multiple units that they constantly bring in for bearing failure and cables and on and on. It looks like a bad engineering design if you as me they use the same stamp cheap bearing they used on the walk behind hydro spreaders and then added 45lb weighted front wheels and then top of the 80lb hopper with a 125lb extension and now add the rear assembly and the rider and then wonder why the bearings continue to fail

All I can say is maintenance and more maintenance and once you think your done do it again.

Life is an unrelenting comedy. Therein lies the tragedy of it.

How can I soar like an eagle, when I'm surrounded by turkeys?
Old 09-01-2007, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Member

the bearings in mine just broke on me. what are the bearings that you used? and where can i get them? other than this i haven't had any real problems with my spreader. thanks for the help.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You can get the quality bearings from south shore bearing co. Quincy massachusetts. My hps machines have been great, im in total disagreement with mowermedic. I have replaced a few cables and had 2 major repairs, both reparied under warranty, otherwise, these machines have been great!
Old 09-01-2007, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
My hps machines have been great, im in total disagreement with mowermedic. I have replaced a few cables and had 2 major repairs, both reparied under warranty
Yeah my customers thought they were great when they were still covered under warranty also.
If you want PM me and I will list all of the issues that I have seen and fixed maybe could help give you some other trouble areas to keep an eye out for.

You will want to stay away from the bearing Lesco sells for it they are not strong enough. Try and look for a good Heavy Duty low speed bearing with an 1-3/8 O.D and 3/4 I.D.
I order them from a local bearing supplier, they cost a little more but you will not have to replace them near as often.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have been running these machines for 4 seasons now and as i said i am overall, very pleased with them. I agree with you that they require lots of maintenence, but for them being a piece of ****, that has not been my experience at all. We have made a ton of money with these spreaders. They fit into our operation for accounts that are too small for the kubota, yet to large to push.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I have been running these machines for 4 seasons now and as i said i am overall, very pleased with them. I agree with you that they require lots of maintenence, but for them being a piece of ****, that has not been my experience at all. We have made a ton of money with these spreaders. They fit into our operation for accounts that are too small for the kubota, yet to large to push.
I would have to say compared to the use we see these units getting you are using yours part time. I have companies applying tons of fert daily, after one year they look like they are 5 years old and the work required to keep them applying to me does not seem worth it but hey I just fix them. My issues are with Lesco/CTP not taking the time to properly design this unit. We see customers with the original 80# push spreaders that are over 10-14 years old and the same goes for the walkbehind hydro spreaders. I have replaced bearings, cables, bushings in the center pivot, transmissions, fixed locked brake assemblies, broken motor mounts, locked hydro drive idlers and belts, removed copious amount of rust from the rear frame(not stainless), replaced tons of missing hardware that has rattled loose and fallen off(newer units), replaced front frames and on and on, and this is on units that have seen normal maintenance not just units that are used and abused.

But I guess if they built it right I would have one less job to do

I know the unit saves tons of time I just hate having to keep fixing what seems like easy things that could have been corrected in the design proses.
I try not to use the parts that Lesco sells if I can find stronger replacement items from other sources then I go that route, but some of the items are Lesco specific and cannot be interchanged.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You have some good points MM77, so i will meet you halfway, you are correct my machines dont go out daily. When they do go out, they work hard. I service several cemeterys with them including a 15 acre cemetery site that has hills,valleys, and all sorts of rugged terrain, i run them all day at that site!