Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-01-2007, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Mimosas in OH, IN and IL -your feedback

I'm considering growing a small number of mimosa to try out on a trail basis up here in Warren County OH. I've had an increasing number of people asking about them, and frankly, I've seen too many of them over the last couple of years doing too well to ignore as a potential moneymaker. I know the historical argument against them is that they're short-lived trees and they're messy. But they're short-lived and messy down south, too, and many folks down there love them anyway. One thing you can say about them is that they can handle drought, and high pH. And if we are actually warming in climate (of course, debatable still), wouldn't this be a great choice for Midwest gardens? (Last week, I spent about 1/2 hour watching bumblebees and hummingbirds compete for the blooms on a mimosa I've successfully grown here in Ohio for the last 3 seasons, and it was like watching a miniature SCI-FI movie!) Thus, I see this is being especially marketable to the flower gardeners and bird lovers. Any other NORTHERN nursery guys or landscapers have any expertise here?
Old 09-03-2007, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Down here most don't care for'em but I like them myself. I have a customer that has one with the trunk as big as my waist.

They grow wild all around here. Have another customer with some in a pasture I cut about once a month - cut'em at 4' and next month their 4' again.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Me and my wife love them for some reason. They grow wild around here and they bloom on the fourth of July. I was not sure that you could buy them, I have actually been looking for one to dig up and plant in my yard.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 09-04-2007, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capemay Eagle View Post
Me and my wife love them for some reason. They grow wild around here and they bloom on the fourth of July. I was not sure that you could buy them, I have actually been looking for one to dig up and plant in my yard.
Mimosas in NJ, Huh? That gives me hope! Are you close to the Atlantic so that the temperatures are moderated by the sea? I was always told they start to freeze out at about consistant -15 F temps.
You can Google 'Mimosa' and buy whips to have them shipped to you if you feel confident enough in your climate, but if they're "growing wild" there, maybe you could "root prune" a few this fall and mark them with a ribbon, then dig them in the spring? (If you don't know how to do this and would like to try, let me know.)

Believe it or not, when I returned with my family from Hilton Head SC this spring, I bought one in a 5 gallon bucket at a place called 'The Greenery' and brought it back in our pickup just to add to the 'gene pool' of mimosa on our property. And you know, I think it worked! All of them bloomed for the first time!