Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-15-2007, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Getting started

I just talked to Bruce today and he going to send me information. Looks like a trip to Omaha may be in the works in September. I like the idea they will run you through a day and a half training seminar. Look forward to reading the information they send.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just received my training package from Village Lighting Co. it look pretty good and there product looks top notch as well. DVD's and a manual. Marketing materials as well.. I would say at under 100.00 bucks its well worth it!! IMO
Old 08-30-2007, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I've talked to a few folks who start with the village place and are looking for the next level. That is Holiday Bright Lights. when you show customers the sample product of thier noble garland, or thier light links, the customer knows you are playing on a different level. There used to be 7 companies here 6 years ago installing c-9s everywhere. 6 went out of business, 2 others are recent that install the product frome brite ideas or holiday Bright lights. If you check them out you'll agree that the better product is from HBL. I buy some items from other companies, but I am successful because of them.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would agree that you can get better lights here and there... I am really excited about there new super-mini. I like the fact you can install a colored bulb on the clear mini and do different things with them with out messing with the actual bulbs.. Holiday bright lights... is that the one you have to go to Omaha to get training... thats something my fiancee and myself were interested in... Its just a long way from Charlotte NC... I wish we could get hands on training closer... I will look at Holiday Bright Lights products again.
Do they sell wholesale to you without being a franchise?

Chad
Old 08-30-2007, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can get wholesale prices by buying a membership which is $5,000. That gets you enough lights to outfit 2 houses if I remember right plus all kinds of marketing material. Go online check out the website request some info. and call and talk to Bruce. I talked to him for about 20-25 minutes. Super nice and very helpful.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That may work down the road.. I am going to get my feet wet with Village Lighting... I don't want to spend money to be able to order thing at wholesale... that defeats the cost savings in the first place.
Village has no fee's
Old 09-01-2007, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You don't have to buy a membership to buy the products. You just pass the retail cost on to the customer. I am in the same boat just going to get my feet wet this year and see how it goes.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Village lights are crap- before I bought my dist. from brite ideas, I used them. My suppliers (2 different companies) had to replace a bunch of my lights because they didn't work. Or you would be putting them in a tree and half a strand would not work.(on 30 strands). My opinion, they are a step above walmart lights! Oh yeah, their c-7's and 9's many problems w/ those smoking also. They can't give me a reason for any of it.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurkn with amish View Post
Village lights are crap- before I bought my dist. from brite ideas, I used them. My suppliers (2 different companies) had to replace a bunch of my lights because they didn't work. Or you would be putting them in a tree and half a strand would not work.(on 30 strands). My opinion, they are a step above walmart lights! Oh yeah, their c-7's and 9's many problems w/ those smoking also. They can't give me a reason for any of it.
There is no doubt that you get what you pay for. That includes product, support, training. If you are just looking for wholesale prices for some mini lights then you are in for a long, long season.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

we had major problems with cords from Brite Ideas in 2001, and thier linkables in 2002 and 2003. In 2004 I gave up and went with Holiday Bright Lights. You can buy thier product wholesale and get training and catalogs without paying upfront. when you compare it to village you will see the difference.

You can buy a membership from Holiday Bright lights for even lower pricing and marketing help, and you get enough product with that package to make back the 5000 bucks. you can always buy a member ship later if you just want to get your feet wet.

As far as up front costs on other things, I get Little giant ladders on ebay for around 250 for the model 22, and you need 2 on every crew, plus a 32' extension ladder. at somepoint you'll need a 40' ext. ladder, we use it at least twice a week on one of our crews. two climbing harnesses and two strong ropes, drill, and other misc. tools as you go. don't buy the cheap ladders, they break after a season. buy little giant only for the step ladders.

the first two or three jobs are learning jobs, and you buy alot of things the first few jobs and feel as though you don't make that much. then the 4th or 6th job you don't buy any tools, by the 12th you are going pretty fast. the real money is made in following years as you have guys that are trained and you do rehangs.

It is crazy business, but I love it.