Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-04-2007, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Curiosity......

Curiosity got the better of me and I had to go look out the window to see if the sky was really blue
The link below is 4 years old and I must admitt I was surprised by what I found out about oil filters. Also, I spent some time over at Bob Is The Oil Guy site reading through some of the forums. Just the same, I'm not going to change what works for me I've been using a Fram PH 8A in my truck since 1984 and I've got 231,000 mile on my Ford

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...y.html#warning

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 09-05-2007, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I read what they said about Fram also, I have been using them with the same brand oil for 30 yrs. and have NEVER had to go inside any of my engines (average 200,000).

I'm with you Breeze, If one finds something that works for them why take a chance on something else !

If one keeps their oil changed @3000/3500 miles there shouldn't be any old oil/contaminates to drain back in the pan.
And another thing, The filter would have to be mounted up side down to drain old oil/contaminates back into the pan. Even one mounted on it's side would hold any contaminates unless one never changes the oil to the point the filter is full of it.

Routine maintenance is the key to longevity of anything.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 09-05-2007, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
If one keeps their oil changed @3000/3500 miles there shouldn't be any old oil/contaminates to drain back in the pan.
And another thing, The filter would have to be mounted up side down to drain old oil/contaminates back into the pan. Even one mounted on it's side would hold any contaminates unless one never changes the oil to the point the filter is full of it.
Routine maintenance is the key to longevity of anything.....
Amen to that Why worry about alittle cardboard ? When the filter element itself is made out of paper. The only oil filter I've seen mounted upside down is on the newer Ford diesels When you replace those, all you are replacing is the element itself, it's on top of the engine

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 09-05-2007, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have a problem with FRAM's cardboard end caps because, as mentioned, the media is basically a "paper".
I do have problem with their ADBV's that seem to fail on a regular basis.
I first noticed this about 10 years ago. When I would start my car, after sitting overnight, the oil light would take 2-3 seconds to go out. Went with a non FRAM filter and the light went out instantly. IOW, the filter was draining out!
IMO, even the Wal Mart ST filter is a MUCH better choice (made by Champion)

As to that old link- It's been posted all over the net with different names attached to it.
The info is simply too old to be reliable regarding who makes what.

I also won't disagree that your vehicle will probably last as long as you want to keep it with a FRAM. Any new vehicle should last 200k miles with minimally required oil/filter changes. How about beyond that?
A friend has a 92 Camry with 300k and serviced at the dealers. Valve seals are gone, so she gets a puff of start up smoke, but otherwise it still doesn't need oil added between changes.

I just think there are better choices for the money than FRAM.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun View Post
I don't have a problem with FRAM's cardboard end caps because, as mentioned, the media is basically a "paper".
I do have problem with their ADBV's that seem to fail on a regular basis.
I first noticed this about 10 years ago. When I would start my car, after sitting overnight, the oil light would take 2-3 seconds to go out. Went with a non FRAM filter and the light went out instantly. IOW, the filter was draining out!
I just think there are better choices for the money than FRAM.
I won't disagree with you on that there are better filters on the market
What I don't understand, is what does the oil light going out have to do with the filter ? Maybe I'm missing something here, but isn't the oil light an indicator of low oil ?

RTFM What a concept

Old 09-06-2007, 02:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezmister View Post
I won't disagree with you on that there are better filters on the market
What I don't understand, is what does the oil light going out have to do with the filter ? Maybe I'm missing something here, but isn't the oil light an indicator of low oil ?
The oil light is an indicator of low oil PRESSURE!

Obviously you don't understand Anti Drain Back Valves.
That's the rubber valve that covers all the small holes on the filter base.
Its function is to prevent the oil from draining out of the filter when the engine is OFF!
If the filter remains FULL, oil pressure to the engine is basically instantaneous upon start up.
IF the filter is empty, it has to refill before you get pressure to the rest of the engine. Why have that 2-3 seconds of no pressure?

Not only are there better filters on the market, some are also LESS MONEY than a FRAM!
Old 09-06-2007, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've been using Advance Auto Parts own storebrand filters for many years, never a problem back then, so I started researching and then started using them on my 2-cyclers, the 1988 bmw, the truck, I tell you it doesn't make that much of a difference, the filter itself.

What is crucial is sticking to the maintenance interval, don't let it get away from you, be religious about it and it will last at least 200,000 miles, my 1987 golf got to 297,000 before it quit (and it was fuel-related, don't get me started lol).

Yeah, just change the oil and filter religiously.
I believe synth can help, but not the filter per se.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun View Post
The oil light is an indicator of low oil PRESSURE!

Obviously you don't understand Anti Drain Back Valves.
That's the rubber valve that covers all the small holes on the filter base.
Its function is to prevent the oil from draining out of the filter when the engine is OFF!
If the filter remains FULL, oil pressure to the engine is basically instantaneous upon start up.
IF the filter is empty, it has to refill before you get pressure to the rest of the engine. Why have that 2-3 seconds of no pressure?
[/B]
Back in the day when I worked for a scaper, he would send his trucks out to be serviced. I would get to pick the trucks up at the end of the day... So I get his 67 International and start driving back and after a few miles the light comes on, blinking and then on full time so I pulled over to see what was up.Now to make a long story short, the guy that did the service did not tighten the drain plug and all the oil drained out So now maybe I have this bass ackward Low oil ? and no, it didn't have a pressure gage.
In the fifty plus years I've taken all kind of things apart, some I've even put back together and they work, but I've never even though about taking a oil filter apart So I've never seen the little rubber thing that covers the small holes, but there is a PH 7575 sitting on the drain pan at work and it will be the second thing I do Monday
As for understanding about the ADBV, well, if it's anything like the set up on a Solo back pack sprayer.....
Anyway, I do have another question about the little red light. How little oil, say in a V 10 triton ( the engine in a 99 F350 ) will keep the light off and the pressure gage in the normal range, it takes 6 qts. Or, what percentage of oil is circulating at any given moment ?

RTFM What a concept

Old 09-07-2007, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

"after a few miles the light comes on, blinking and then on full time so I pulled over to see what was up.Now to make a long story short, the guy that did the service did not tighten the drain plug and all the oil drained out So now maybe I have this bass ackward Low oil ? and no, it didn't have a pressure gage"

You have to have oil to pump, to generate pressure.
Oil can also be to the full mark, but if the pump fails, the light comes on. It's a PRESSURE Switch!
Old 09-11-2007, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezmister View Post
In the fifty plus years I've taken all kind of things apart, some I've even put back together and they work, but I've never even though about taking a oil filter apart So I've never seen the little rubber thing that covers the small holes, but there is a PH 7575 sitting on the drain pan at work and it will be the second thing I do Monday
As for understanding about the ADBV, well, if it's anything like the set up on a Solo back pack sprayer.....
The PH7575 was kinda small, so I got this old PH2
Attached Images

RTFM What a concept