Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-05-2007, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMow View Post
You can do 40 accounts in 2 days? WOW!!!!! What are they 1/8 acre lots and no trimming or what? That seems incredible to me. As far as the question goes, I would go with him to the accounts and if they seem halfway willing to stay with you, then HECK YEAH!!!! I wish someone around my neck of the woods offered me this kind of deal I wouldn't be able to write a check fast enough. Just my thoughts anyway.
i have a variety of sizes, from 1/4 acre to 5 acres. All within close vacinity. and the part about one man, i have a good system and dont waste much time.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds reasonable. It never hurts to ask.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonslawnmanagement View Post
how about this angle, offer to buy all his equipment in exchange for the accoutns. That way if things did go south, at least i would have an asset to liquify and get my money back.....?
That sounds good to me...I'm not sure why the guy would keep the equipment and sign a non-compete agreement if he is terminally ill. Not to sound insensitive but why not just sell off everything and be done with it?
Old 09-06-2007, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe tell him you'll give him a percentage of the accounts who sign a yearly contract with you

We do landscape design, plants sales and delivery, full season landscape maintenance, mulch applications, edging installation, landscape bed installation, one time landscape renovations, spring and fall cleanups, and lawn maintenance division including mowing, fertility/weed control programs, and agronomics services.

Mike and Loriena Harrington

http://www.beautifulbloomslandscape.com
Old 09-06-2007, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Take the chance, but know what you are getting as far as the past and projected income. Its your decision and your money. I would have a clause that would protect me from customers dropping me. With most solo operated companies the clients forms a bond and a relationship with the owner. You might get dropped because they personally don't like you. It happens more than often. Thats why these guys are always screaming get a contract.

Unfortunately you will lose some accounts over the next couple of years but if you are looking to grow your business then it wouldn't be a bad opportunity depending on the terms and the financial.
Here's some tips
1. Make sure you have written agreement with the guy. Make sure you have a clause protecting you in case of drops
2. Walk each property front and back yard with the current owner of business. Try to meet each homeowner. Take notes
3. Inform the homeowners that you are helping him out. 3a Keep his current billing information, numbers etc
4. Be able to understand the level and scope of work thats provided to each property.
5. In you can slowly implement the homes I recommend doing it in thirds
6. Send letter out introducing yourself and inform them that there service price will remain the same. Try to make it seamless for them.

In addition its the best time of the year to purchase accounts. The grass isn't growing like crazy so you have have time to catch up if you have equipment failures etc. Oh I almost forgot, make sure you have back up equipment just in case of failures. I would add two extra bodies just so you don't get behind on the work. Customers wont give you any second chances.

Whats your address and billing information? I'll be sending you my consultation fee its $450 per hour with a two min.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Those accounts are worth about 1 month's gross imo. If they all signed a service agreement. I guarantee though that there will be a lot of accounts out of those 80-100 that you don't want or that won't want you. Figure on losing 25% to be safe. I bet you'd end up with 60-75 accounts out of the deal, and I'm assuming they are small if he can knock them out in 4 days, at a $30/cut average I would be hard pressed to pay more than $10k, with a signed service agreement.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Member

If you want to send me an e-mail at cleanlawn01@yahoo.com I can send some more info to you regarding buying accounts. I am currently talking with 2 business regarding buying their accounts and I know you want to make sure your covered when it comes down to everything. But you are getting some great advice here too.