Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-07-2007, 06:45 AM
LawnSite Member

How I got a starter at half the OEM price

I'm a big fan of saving money. My wife calls me cheap.

I've already posted about how to figure out drive belt sizes so you can buy industrial belts cheaper than OEM belts here: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=199016

Yesterday, I needed to order a new starter for a Toro 325 Groundmaster. The price from Toro was $297.00. Wow! And he said that wasn't a current price, he'd have to check to see if it had gone up.

These mowers use Ford engines so I got the engine number off of the engine block and called NAPA. After about 5 minutes on the phone, they were able to get the ford part number for the starter which they could cross reference to a NAPA number. They had 5 starters that would fit. Rebuilts starting at $61.00 and one new starter for $157. It turned out that all the rebuilts would take a couple of days to get in so I got the $157 motor the same day.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

thatll work for engines like that--but not the same scenario with small engine starters---they know what they want for them----
Old 09-08-2007, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yeah, I love threads like these, I'm big on saving whatever I can.

I've been using Mag-1 grease for the zerk fitted stuff for well over a year now, buy the stuff at Northern for 0.79 - 0.99 a cartridge.
If you're not too particular about using synthetic grease, mag-1 seems to be an excellent bearing grease and it's the standard 12 oz or what have you full size cartridges for grease guns, compared to other brands that cost 2-3 dollars each this mag-1 stuff has been a budget saver for me, no ill after-effects from my machines, has performed nicely thus far.

If you're interested I cross-referenced a couple of Bosch spark plugs over to autolite, the first fits most 2-cyclers and it's the Bosch 7547 WSR6F (not sure but that's what it says on box) cross-refs to Autolite 2974 (saved me like 2 bucks, $3 at the dealer, $1.20 at advance auto).
The other fits the Fs-100rx trimmer, it's Bosch usr 7 Ac and it costs 6.50 - 7.50, each!!!
Stupid thing is just a standard cu electrode, you'd think it was special, well maybe it is, a little...
Crosses to teh Autolite APP 4794 (that's a 2x platinum, costs 2.59 or so.)
uhm, it could be 4194, can't tell if I meant to write a 7 or a 1 anymore

btw u can cross-x about any plug here:
http://www.power-21.com/honeywellpower21i/autolite.aspx
Also note you may actually have to use 'vehicle brand' so as to select 'stihl' and 'make and model' so as to get 'fs-85' etc...
It's kind of a funny tool but it does work and has a pretty nice selection of power tools, commercial ones included.

Other notes:
Autolite's numbering system uses an A to designate that it's autolite, a single P means 1x platinum, two p's means 2x platinum, once the APP is removed the number is the actual part and at times serves as a straight cross-ref to another brand.

Last edited by topsites; 09-08-2007 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Some people think businesses get a discount on everything, like we can just walk in to some store made just for business owners and flash a magic card and get 70% off everything in the store. Yeah there's Sam's and PriceCo but IMO those places are some comedian's idea of a members-only walmart, all it is, I don't see no real deals I can't get anyplace else...

So what it boils down to is you have to do something specific for a very long time so that you're always shopping for the same stuff... Over time you learn your prices, and now the real trick is to have some money saved and just happen to be in the right place at the right time, then load up on whatever you find, that's how I get most of my supplies at half price or better.