Register free!

Old 09-07-2007, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Organic Establishment

I am working in a development that requires the use of Organic products only. I haev 4 lawns that range in size from 30k to 50k sq ft. These lawns were poorly established and need to be reseeded.

I do a lot of seeding work and am liscensed to do applications. However, I do not do a lot of work with Organics. I'd like to but customers always seem to balk at the price. I've also explained to them the difference between Organic and Organic Based. Some of them were getting a program and totally unware of what Biosolids they were getting. "Oh really?"

Anyway.What suggestions can you offer for establishing lawns using Organic products that will help significantly with seed germination and establishment.
Keeping the cost in line is a big factor.

I was thinking about testiing the soil, adding amendments and going with some sort of Biostimulant. What else should I be thinking about?
Old 09-08-2007, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well Finn, it's going to be hard to steer clear of biosolids and manures and keep price down with lawns that size. When I first got into organics I didn't like the fact that a lot of the ferts I was using contain biosolids and manures until you see what the biology does for the lawns. That should be the primary goal.

I would test the soil on the properties, but with lawns that size soil amendments and ferts can get expensive real quick. For starter fert, look into 4-4-2 from Nutrients Plus (OMRI certified) if you can use poultry manure.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Natty,

That's the kind of feedback I am looking for. I'll check into the starter Fert.

Thanks, Finn