Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-07-2007, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Member

new owner

I recently went out on my own. I was curious as to what were your most effectives ways of advertising? I am also having to be budget minding, any advice?
Old 09-07-2007, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had to limit myself this year because of the equipment and problems with the equipment I was having.
I purchased a 2x2.5ft sign for the back of the trailer,and I passed out 200 flyers walking door to door. Off of the 200 flyers, I had about 11 accounts. Now Im at 9 as the summer is coming to an end.
So over all, the sign sucked. I only got yards off of the flyers. Another thing I noticed. The first 50-60 flyers that I passed out, I targeted yards that looked like noone cut them or they were getting tall. I passed the rest of the flyers to everydoor in a few neighborhoods. ALL of my accounts were from the yards that I targeted at first.
Around mid feb, I am going to start passing out flyers and try to get 3000-5000 out by march.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

This is my first year also. I only have 7 accounts so far this summer and all we because of me running my mouth ( been told I talk to much lol and should be a politician) I hand out business cards to anyone I talk to, even the politicians at the local rallies ( they give me theirs, I give them mine.) So far nothing from them, but they were cheap. I use MS Word and print my own, they look professional made. I just printed my own flyers and handing them out at a local benefit tomorrow and also just came off $160 for a month long ad in the paper. we'll see how that works. So far all advertising is under $200. I'll do more flyers and walk a neighborhood about the middle of the month.
2010 Ferris Evolution 48" cut 20 Hp
Kawasaki Line trimmer
Br600 Backpack Blower
Stihl chain saw
Stihl MM 55 Yard Boss
Misc handtools

Pictures of my trailer here

Pictures of some Landscape and structures I've done
Here
Old 09-08-2007, 05:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Think of the market(real estate). I live in sw florida now and inadvertanily have become part of a fast growing foreclosure market just in the last 3 weeks I have picked up 7 accounts for propertys in 2.5 wks on top of 12 that I have(forclosure)Banks , brokers and agents and homeowners are struggling to find people to matain "curb appeal" Look for property management companys. I sold and retired one of the largest landscape companys in md. and moved to florida a long time ago so know I KNOW what I am talking about. These propertys normaley last about 7 wks on the market and the first cut is usually a bear(charge extra) but the maintenece cuts after that are gravy. AND they keep coming. I wasn't even trying for this, I was flipping house's here and the market really went south(cuba I think) and made quite a few business type friends and thats how I found out
Old 09-09-2007, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Member

thankyou

Thanks to all that replied. Your advice is appreciated, and helpful.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Member

had my best luck with local advertising paper not a news paper just a paper that is all advertising.
Echo Blower, Edger, Trimmer
Kawasaki Trimmer
Husqavarna Blower
Stihl Pole saw
Kawasaki Hedge Trimmer
1997 F150
Old 09-10-2007, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok.........Here it goes! Look for people that have just moved into a house. You can find out their info in the news paper. Name , address, and how much they paid for the house. From there put a nice shirt on and clean up the old pick up and go and talk to them.