Register free!

Old 11-13-2001, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have seen photos of various designs in the ICPI magazine. Some are very detailed with several colors used which makes it look rather like a mosaic. This would certainly be better for the slow season because having patience to do it while busy is difficult to come by.
Old 11-14-2001, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You know what, though, JD hit the nail on the head, and I had forgotten that part - it would be much easier and with much higher probability of smooth bond lines if it's done on site. I recall one of the ICPI pieces of literature showing a big design, multi-colored, and that's what they did.

That's what we do sometimes, too. In fact, we've laid a 600 sqft pattern, only to pull up about 300 sqft in the middle to lay a different pattern. Works out best with bond lines to do it that way than to try to lay around the middle and try to get the bond lines to match.

But I will say, the guys usually aren't too excited to see designs like that. Sometimes I'll wait until the body of it is laid and tell them. Then I wait to hear 'we have to do what?'
Old 11-16-2001, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Stonehenge,

I know what you mean by aggravation of laying a pattern inside a pattern. Its a tough decision of whether or not to just lay your base pattern first and then pull or to try and set you design first and then try and get the lines to match up after words.

Lately, I've been setting such things as circle kits and what first and then matching the paver pattern up on the other side. I use to run pattern first, then pull, then set the circle. Now, I think its and even toss up for trouble. Seems like you spend just as much time getting the lines to come together as you would spend pulling up that section. I'm thinking of reverting back to my old way now.

On my paver designs, I have a notion of how I want to approach the matter. What I would like to do is make them as sort of a 'pre-fab' unit.

In the UK, I know paver manufactrures make circle kits, but they do it a little differently than here. Make the kits square, or in other words produce a circle and then also produce the pieces to go around the circle to create a square. Easy to work with that way.

That's how I want to approach the matter. Make the design, then 'square' it out in the shop. That way, when you go to put it in, you don't have to make all those fine cuts.

I'm thinking of a way to 'join' the pattern kit together now. Maybe after the design is made, I can place some kind of fabric on the back that will hold it together. Kind of along the lines of how Mosaic ceramic tile patterns come. That way, you can just drop it in place all in one shot when you get to the job.

This is kind of fun to think about.

And ya, I saw that article on the moose. That was very nice. Also, techo bloc has a add in the back of some of their brochures for paver mosaic.

It looks a bit differnt though. I think what some people are doing is actually engraving the pavers and then inserting a mosaic tile like piece in the paver so it is flush with the surface of the brick. Have to investigate some more on that.

steve