Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-16-2007, 06:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Troy-Bilt tiller attachment

I have a Troy-Bilt Horse Model 12057 (1993) with a tine shaft seal leaking. I've purchased new seals and I'm in the process of removing the tine shafts. That note under tine shaft maintenance about removing them after every 10 hours and cleaning everything out is good advice. These have never been off so I'm having some difficulty. Anyway I see that the parts catalog lists 4 different shims for the rear bearing cap for the drive shaft assembly. It says "as required" but I don't know what the end play measurement should be. Can someone provide that for me? Is there a good technician's manual that covers the Troy-Bilt and if so where can I purchase one? Any help is greatly appreciated.
RonJ
Old 09-16-2007, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

RonJ,

There is no end play measurement on this cone type bearing. It must be adjusted to what they call (setting pre-load). What you do is add shims until you feel no in/out movement of the shaft but a slight drag on the shaft when free spinning by hand.

It's like setting pre-load (adjusting front wheel bearings on a car/truck). Also, Don't forget to apply some antiseeze to the tine shaft for the next cleaning.

TroyBuilt does not offer a service manual on my dealer's site, Only owner's and parts manuals.

Cya

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 09-16-2007, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information. I'll certainly not forget the anti-sieze. I soaked one side in Kroil overnight and still couldn't get it off with a gear puller. Finally I tightened the puller down as tight as I could and applied the rosebud (heat) to it. Didn't take 30 seconds but scared the shop dog out of the building when it popped loose.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I've had my fair share of fun removing these things.....

Cya

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!