Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-18-2007, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Sulkie for the larger than average user

I've got a 06 Dane 36" hydro with a 15 horse Kawi that I've been contemplating putting a sulkie on. I'm 6'1" 250 lbs and was wondering if any users similar to my size were getting good results with a sulkie. I was considering either the jungle jim or the proslide but didn't want to waste my money. Thanks
Old 09-18-2007, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm 6'1 220 and I use a proslide on my 60 inch exmark. The 36 inch might be a little small to pull well. You might want to try a demo or something first.

Ford, GMC, John Deere Loaders, Exmark, Red-Max, Sno-Way
Old 09-18-2007, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 36" Hydro Everride which is very similar to the Dane and have a Bullrider sulky on it. I weigh in around 235 depending on if it is before or after lunch. There are times I have to step off with maybe one foot to shift the weight but for the most part it pulls me around just fine. Slopes I just step off and walk off to the side. Sometimes I wonder if it would help any by adding some weight over the drive wheels....
Old 09-19-2007, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think it will pull you on flat surfaces fine, but you might have step off at some spots and you'd most likely have to take off velke/sulky and walk slopes/hills. I'm about 215 and my 36 does fine on flat, but anything esle and I have to step off or remove Velke., but mine is a belt, I think you will do better with your hydro. Velke real time saver. Definatley get two wheeled for your size.

stuff
http://www.lawnsite.com/album.php?albumid=184
Old 09-19-2007, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hook yourself up with a trailering type two wheeled sulky. Normally, for a hydro, I would recommend a solid mount w/pivoting casters, but being that this unit is so small and light, and yo are so heavy, a trailering type would pull much easier. you may want to rig up some sort of weights on the front, also to stop the front from popping up hen it hits the resistance of the pulling weight on takeoff.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 36 Exmark walk behind. I'm 5' 11" 235 LB's. I usually cut on speed 4. The only time I have to jump off is when I'm going uphill on a lake. Other than that, no problems.
Jay