Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-20-2007, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

rain gutters and downspouts

just wondering if anybody makes removing these things before cutting and trimming a common practice (for lack of a better way of putting it). why i ask this is that a few wks. ago started a new account and before i started the custermor ask me to remove these before i did the trimming, saying the last guy didn't and that was the reason they were all bent out of shape. now the place wasn't going be listed on any forbes rich and famous estates (check that), but place was nice and regardless it's still somebody's home. wanna add also that this wasn't the reason i took over the job, she said the guys no longer in buis. but just wanted to put this out there and see if anyone makes this a common practice where needed.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Tell her if she would like to take them down and put them back on, she is more than welcome to it. We generally do not remove them, because of two reasons. If they ever fall off, and the basement fills up with water, it is our fault. The second, and most common reason, is that it is found that they can be mowed and trimmed around in much less time than it takes to remove them and put them on. What is more than that, all too often, many times the crimp is all bent up and they are a pain to get back on, anyway.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This customer may have had a bad experience in the past and I'm sorry to hear that, but I don't change my routine because of it...
I suppose you could charge extra but that won't go far, not usually...

You never can be too sure, it's some kind of a test maybe, but way I see things if I bow to the demand then I'm going down.
I had one a ways back got on me about not using weed killer but string trimming everything ... It was a big deal, the customer about got bent out of shape, so I did quote extra and got a dirty look... Up to you, how serious is the customer? If not very, I say take your chances but plan on not moving these things if that's not part of your routine.

Now I'll move those plastic extender tubes out of the way, but not the actual gutter drain. Be careful, best I can say, I make no changes out of the ordinary, that to me is riding, please get your leg off my shoulder, yes I know you want to ride me but see this bronco bucks now there ain't gonna be no Lco rides today and thank you.
It's worst when they're married and out of sheer mindlessness I do compromise, omg..!
Makes me wonder what they're thinking too, thou.
So I can't do it, I'm not the lawn boy of some corporate employer, I'm the owner-operator.

You might lose the account, but at that point it could've been trouble so you save yourself a headache (or 3)...

Last edited by topsites; 09-20-2007 at 02:32 AM.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i don't disagree with above but just wanted to clarify more on this post in that i believe she just meant the spouts, gutters and drains on the ground in areas where mowers and trimmers would be involve. and not the gutters coming down the side of house at least for now, i think experience with these things are that most are riveted or secured in one way but not all and they be the ones in for common pratice removal.