Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-22-2007, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthomass View Post
If I were you I would not worry about doing your own thing too much right now. Patience will make you money. Go work for a local BIG company. I say big because often you get the most experience with a vast amount of things in the industry......some smaller companies can provide you with this too.

Keep you mouth zipped, don't be talking about starting a company etc, they won't like it. I would actually fire you to be honest.

Work with the company gain your experience....installs, equipment, hardscapes etc. THEN go do your own thing. By the time you graduate you should be good to go if you are a fast learner.

Patience patience patience. Think long term and hope you live to see it. I look forward to say 30yrs old. Business, I hope, will be great, I'll have my 50+ acres with a house on it and my Z06 in the garage.
Whats funny is, most people are just starting to work their way up the corportate later by age 30.

Me and you todd should be pretty well off by age 30. Then we can start to live our 20s!
Old 09-22-2007, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclecarboy View Post
Yea, I agree. I think I'm trying to just jump in head first which will never work in the end. I'm rushing it too bad trying to make tons of money. I'm looking to buy an aerator to do aeration this fall to make quick $$.

Money is the only issue.... I NEED financing to buy all this stuff.
Why buy anything you can rent? an aerator will not truly be making money until year three or four unless you run it every day.

I would go talk with an accountant or call a local small business coach.

See if there is anything at the Chamber of commerce to help you. talk to these people http://www.score.org/ you'll learn a lot.

Trust me the stupidest thing you can do is buy equipment and look for jobs. Look for jobs then buy the equipment when you spend more renting it than buying it. Last year I spent 10k renting a skid this year we bought one had I purchased it before I knew I had all the work making it through the winter would be tough.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrusk View Post
Whats funny is, most people are just starting to work their way up the corportate later by age 30.

Me and you todd should be pretty well off by age 30. Then we can start to live our 20s!
I'm in the same boat I have spent most of my time working and growing and trying not to lose my shirt but when I am in my 30's I should be able to goof of while others are just starting their career. It's really funny when you think about it.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthomass View Post
If I were you I would not worry about doing your own thing too much right now. Patience will make you money. Go work for a local BIG company. I say big because often you get the most experience with a vast amount of things in the industry......some smaller companies can provide you with this too.

Keep you mouth zipped, don't be talking about starting a company etc, they won't like it. I would actually fire you to be honest.

Work with the company gain your experience....installs, equipment, hardscapes etc. THEN go do your own thing. By the time you graduate you should be good to go if you are a fast learner.

Patience patience patience. Think long term and hope you live to see it. I look forward to say 30yrs old. Business, I hope, will be great, I'll have my 50+ acres with a house on it and my Z06 in the garage.
Ahh the pleasure of 505 American horses

Seriously though, I think I'll seriously consider your suggestions. There's ads in the local paper for landscape laborers and that sort of thing so I think I'll give them a call. My uncle also knows a few people that own landscaing companies so I'll have to speak to him.

This winter I want to do residential plowing to pay for my truck and then really work my @$$ off next summer to be able to really take off in '09.