Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-19-2001, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Qualifying Leads

Any suggestions for qualifying sales leads to save time? I have tried "what type of budget do you have" and "what do you expect to pay" and similiar but am finding resistance. Just hate that wasted time.
Old 11-19-2001, 10:17 PM
Lawnsite Addict

Package pricing?
Old 11-19-2001, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've tried the money question, too. No matter how I word it, it sounds like I'm casing the joint.

So instead, I tried to get as much info as I can about what they want to have done. Once I have a thumbnail of what they want, I sometimes throw a ballpark price, and see how they react. I try to dig more based on the reaction, and if it sounds like they want $10K in work for $100, I tell them we're really busy and likely don't have the time to squeeze this one in.
Old 11-19-2001, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We actually just started that in our advertisments. We give the lowest possible price without upgrades and call it a 'special'.. those ads have not started yet but when they do I hope it helps.

Good idea, the people that need qualifying are the ones that use the ads, the others are usually referrals and need way less qualifying.

thanks paul, did you read my other post about the diversify? I enjoy your help, hope to get more of it and give if i can.
Old 11-19-2001, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You have to develop some rapport with people before they will talk about the money. To qualify people on the phone, get their address and ask them to tell you about the project they are interested in doing at this time. Ask if it is a single-family home or a townhouse. Often you get clues by their answers if you listen. Also ask how long they intend to live in this house.
Old 11-20-2001, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You don't need any rapport to talk about money. Since price is the most important issue to almost 50% of the irrigation buyers it should be the first thing you talk about.

I start out asking if they have a budget for the job. Some say yes and some say "no, I have no idea what these things cost".

If they have a budget ask if they would share it with you, some will, some won't. If they don't, ask them what price range they'd be most comfortable in, 1500-2k, 2-3k, over 3K,. You get the idea. If it fits with what you do or what jobs are worth for their neighborhood its a plus. If it ain't a fit, kiss'em & thank'em.

For those having no idea what sprinklers cost, they still know what they can afford, right? You don't go shopping for something you don't know the cost of with out saying to yourself, I'm willing or able to spend X dollars to buy this. So then you bounce off some of your numbers if you know the area and ask if that range ( big range like 1k from low to high) is acceptable. You can fine tune by asking if they'd be more comfortable closer to x$ or closer to y$.

Once money is cleared up, go for a time frame for the project. If they can't wait for you there is no point in going.

Ask how many estimates they are getting. If it's more than 3 maybe 4 if your in a good mood, dump them. They were lying about the money. Everytime I ask why they are getting so many estimates 5,6,7,8 or "as many as I can" the answer is "i'm looking for the best possible price". To which I respond I sell the best possible system but not the lowest price, thank you for calling.

Yes I know it seems rude and harsh to you guys but I've put myself through the wringer for many years and I know I go I can't teach them, convince them, help them to sell themselves when they are bottom line driven.

I'm not high priced, I just build real irrigation systems that can keep a site green indefinitely without any help from mother nature. No brown spots allowed on my jobs. It costs more to build them than a "sprinkler system".

If on an estimate your asked "if I give you the go ahead, when can you do the job" it's a sign you didn't pre qualify them. You can ask in return "are you sign up now"? If not, they are just making meaningless small talk. And how would you know the wait for a job that hasn't even been decided.

Ask questions that will yield yes answers. Once you have them saying yes a lot, there should be a yes when you ask for approval to do the job. If it's a talk about, think about, getting other estimates ask them on a scale of 1-10 where am I in getting your business. Follow by asking what do I have to do to get to 10. Remember, you don't get what you don't ask for.