Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-23-2007, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If I had to pick between a guy at a gas station and a guy straight out of college with an agriculture degree, I would go with the degree.

Education is not just learning what is in a book but more importantly a creative thought process to approaching a problem and solving it efficiently.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Lawnscapes View Post
I think the best business men/women are those without the education.

You seem to have it it together tthomass. Good on yah.

And Alarsh, education in college is time away from business. You seem to have it together also. Evening classes and/or a landscaping/business class at the community college are all you need, no need for a degree if this is where your heart is.

Just my 2 cents. I'm a highschool dropout, and a Vet. Been in this industry since my mom married my stepdad, and he's been very supportive. Family also full of small business owners.

=Abe
only people i ever hear make this statement are those without the eduction.....no offense intended...

having a better education does not by itself make you a better or worse businessman. It does teach you a lot of different information that you can use to draw from to solve problems, and can help you with the financial end of the business.
bobcat T200
way too much other crap
Old 09-23-2007, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I never went to college. But if i did, i would of taking all business course and no landscape courses. or became a LA.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I need the supplier for the ball and chain i had a customer who wanted one i gave her a look like wtf? now i've actually seen one i think it looks good not so much on that application though.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthomass View Post
If I had to pick between a guy at a gas station and a guy straight out of college with an agriculture degree, I would go with the degree.

Education is not just learning what is in a book but more importantly a creative thought process to approaching a problem and solving it efficiently.
I disagree. From my two years of college experience, it is just a test to see if you are competent. I will never ever use any of what I learned in college in my life(wish I had taken Spanish courses though!). I could see the advantage to getting a degree in LA or horticulture, but from my experience education is just regurgatating words out of a book. With Quickbooks and a good accountant, I really don't see the need in even taking business classes.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Education in this field is a good thing, but experience is key. I worked for Bellsouth when I graduated from UVa( GO HOOS) as a corp. mgr over sales and marketing strategy and learned soooooooooo much. But without the degree, never would have had a chance at this job....money was great, job was great, but layoffs hit and I was least in senority.....But, 4 years of gaining sales and marketing knowledge was priceless. I know everything it takes to market for big business. For all of you young guys, GO to college.....not only will you get a education, but you will party, party, meet girls, party, meet more girls, party some more all while getting a education. It gets no better.....Trust me, 4 years at UVa spoiled me for life....life has not been the same sense 2000....lol
Old 09-23-2007, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Honestly you can do fine in life with any road that you choose. I could of went to school to be a LA, but instead i'll proably just hire one full time in a few years. I could of went to school for business. Adventually i'll proably hire someone to help run the business. I could of went to school for construction managment. But one day i will hire project managers.

Any obstacle can be over come. If you want to grow you need to be able to delegate.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

rusk,

so wouldn't it help to have some business sense yourself instead of having to give out the assignments to everyone else? That's alot of overhead you're going to take on having all those people.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrusk View Post
Honestly you can do fine in life with any road that you choose. I could of went to school to be a LA, but instead i'll proably just hire one full time in a few years. I could of went to school for business. Adventually i'll proably hire someone to help run the business. I could of went to school for construction managment. But one day i will hire project managers.

Any obstacle can be over come. If you want to grow you need to be able to delegate.
I agree. To be successful all you really have to have is a good work ethic, financial sense, and common sense. Delegation is a skill that can't be taught at a university.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam's Lawn and Garden View Post
rusk,

so wouldn't it help to have some business sense yourself instead of having to give out the assignments to everyone else? That's alot of overhead you're going to take on having all those people.
I belive i do have some business sense. If i did not, i do not think i would be where i am right now.

You gotta think big!