Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-23-2007, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Another comment, I bought out a guy w/ a 4 year degree last year. Just b/c you have a degree doesn't give more ability to run a business in my book. This guy just did not manage his money right... don't think they teach that college. Financial sense can make you are break you in this business.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As a rusty old football player, I think of my business as a football team....I am the head coach, and I am responsible for all wins, and all losses....I need to know offense and defense because if I see something going wrong, I need to know how to fix it even though I have a OC and DC.....If they call a play I dont like, I will change it. But if I have little knowledge, not much I can do but rely on my assistance to win for me, and if we lose if no sweat off their back, they will pack up and move on to the next guy once we have lost enough.....I will be working on my masters in Business Administration this winter and hope to take a few more civil engineer course during the season next year. Me personally, I need to know all phases, because people have ways of getting over on you once they notice you have little knowledge of their Job they will find ways to cheat you. Plus, that more overhead, and more money taken away from me, my wife and my mistress when I find her when I get old an after we have moved to Fla with the rest of the old folks.....lmao....j/k....hope my wife doesnt be sneaking around on this site.....Hope I made some sense, my sunday night football and solo beer party's are starting to blurr my thought process
Old 09-23-2007, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am a firm beliver of not doing anything myself that i can hire other people to do. That leaves me more time to do the things that i can not hire people to do.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I will be going to college. It really isn't a question. I plan on getting out of the mowing in 5-7 years and take on flipping houses or maybe construction like you are doing.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrusk View Post
I belive i do have some business sense. If i did not, i do not think i would be where i am right now.

You gotta think big!
Thinking big is the only way to grow from where you are now. I want to net $50k in 2010 and my friends think i'm nuts BUT even if i only achieve 3/4 of that, I'm still not doing too bad.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclecarboy View Post
Thinking big is the only way to grow from where you are now. I want to net $50k in 2010 and my friends think i'm nuts BUT even if i only achieve 3/4 of that, I'm still not doing too bad.
You really shouldn't be telling your friends about your finances. If I told my friends what my finances were looking like they would all go on strike (they work for me).
Old 09-24-2007, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Education is not everything, but it does help, Yes you can do the landscape thing without one once of education beyond high school. However, some folks use a landscape business as a stepping stone to do other things. Having that education makes you more marketable, IMO....

I knew for a fact that I did not want to be "in the field" sweating my gonads off each and every day. My college educations has helped me do that.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Gett'n ready for winter, 8' Boss.
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2007, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Just incase you have thoughts of moving here:
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2007, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Are you doing all residential plowing with the boss? How many contracts are you expecting to have? I am kind of surprised this is your first year plowing...

How many employees do you have?