Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-19-2001, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you, for all your responses. It seems to me that most have goals and that is a good thing. This season for my partner and I was awesome. Our first goal was to get our business up and running and that went rather well. We hit our our number of customers (30) and also both got our state applicators license. Even this late in the season we are getting calls for fert/weed control. At the present time my partner and I are enrolled in horticulture and have been getting so much good info and we plan on putting it into action this upcoming season.

Next season our goal is to double our numbers and add another rig with 2 workers. We are thinking about having another rig just for fert. The biggest setback this season was getting over myself. I would try to complicate things thus making something simple and turn it into a mess. If we keep this thing simple (K.I.S.S.) everything will be all right.

Try to look at your properties and see what you could do to improve your profit. (seasonal color in beds). thanx homer
Old 11-19-2001, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just got started this year. I started out because my son wanted to mow. I started helping him and found out that I would rather do lawn work than work in the office.

We bought a commercial mower and picked up several accounts to justify it.

I'm looking to go pick up more business next year with the goal of being full time within 18 months.
Old 11-20-2001, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Good to hear others have goals like that Bruce. I have been in the biz for a couple of years. I plan on going one more and quitting my job of 10 years to go full time. I plan on working up a 5 yr. biz plan here in the next couple of weeks. my problem is that I want to put too many irons in the fire. I want to get into commercial fert., hydro seeding, stone walls and the works, too fast. I worked for a landscape outfit for 4 years (13 years ago) and have done all that, but i need to slow down and concentrate on one thing at a time, thus a business plan. Good luck.
Matt
Old 11-20-2001, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

This was the year of years. To get where I needed to be financially, I merged with two other lawn care operators and we more than doubled what we had been doing combined the year before. we made it, and had a banner weather year after last years rainforest then drought. most of my hair left along with my health, but things get better everyday. next year if we grow as much as we did this year, we're looking at a million in sales. employees, equipment, and personalities all had issues, and again, getting better everyday. Good year. Dave g
Old 11-20-2001, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This year has been great for me. I bought a new mower and reached my goal money wise. I've got some great customers this last year, they're all coming back. That's a good sign, seeing how I lost a couple last year and 1 this year due to their cheapness or the guy was just a complete psycho. I also hired an employee to help me when I need it, a friend of mine from school. Great worker because him and I have so much in common with school and all and he has worked a ton at a crappy job that he hated all summer. Poor guy. Ready to work for me though!

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 11-20-2001, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm actually doing less this year than I did last year. I took my own advice (if you dread it shed it) and got rid of the schools that I had and some other scrub yards. Need to see where I'm at financially compared to last year cause I did go up on some of my accounts.

Leaning towards more commercial work for the coming year, seems I want to spend more time there than I do on residentials right now but enjoy timing myself on them.

I finally hooked up with another LCO and for the last few days we have been running together. I think this one is more trustworthy than the others I dealt with and the chemistry is there for us to be pretty productive. Maybe the 24' trailer isn't so bad after all since we have it full now. I don't think "partnership" is in the future since I despise that word but together we can get 8-9 lawns done in a day and that's with all the leaves. We'll just have to wait and see. Without leaves and blowing time I'm sure we can get 12-13 residentials pretty easy.

Have not changed my schedule yet like I said I was. Next year the 10 day cuts have to go...............got to be weekly or bi-weekly. Letters will be sent out in January preparing everyone for the change. Hated to do it mid-season.

Still have all the customers I wanted to keep. Wife quit me, got to be a little too much for her. Another reason for getting rid of the big stuff.

Udder than that.............still pluggin away

P.S. No problem George..............good luck with the biz!
Old 11-20-2001, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is my second season being self employed. I doubled my income (gross) but did not double the work. Raised all prices and kept 100% of my customers from last yr. Right now I have turned down more work this yr than I have taken.

So in a word "GREAT"