Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-20-2001, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What type of business do you run?

Ok, so I was going to start out as a scrub kind of guy and do some fall cleanups. Put out 100 flyers in my area for fall cleanup and didn't get a single call back. I have all homeowner equipment, JD 30" rider, Toro 21" mower, blower, edger and trimmer... all on a 4*8 trailer.. What a bummer... I kept reading Lawnsite everyday, learning more and more..

I want to go totally legit the right way. I was gonna put ads out in the paper, but I don't have insurance or licensed..

So, today I went to the State of NJ Office and got my training manual so I can study to be pesticide certified, I'll get to take the core test and Category 3A test over the winter. Certification is good for 5 years, so if I test in February, I'll be good for years... I'm also looking into getting liability insurance..

Then I can advertise "Fully licensed, fully insured" and go 100% full-throttle ahead on getting some accounts come January/February....

I also realized that starting out with this idea on about October... 15th.. is a bad time of year to start.

Oh well, no money lost just yet, except for the $25 I spent making that striping kit.. (I posted "I made a striping kit tonight..") thread...

SO - Big Question - I have to "Create" a small business over here in NJ..

How many of you guys out there are small business, I'm a 1 person sole propietorship, ** OR ** are you guys in as LLC, Limited Liability Company??

I heard that * IF * I have a $1 million liability insurance, and use my rider mower and take out 7 year old Johnny's eyeball, I'm in for alot more than a $1 Million lawsuit, but you can be much better protected if you are a LLC.

How many of you guys have gone the LLC route? Do I need a lawyer or an accountant to set this all up? What kind of yearly/monthly fillings would I need to make to stay legit?

Any help, the more detail the better, would be great. Thanks all you guys!
Old 11-20-2001, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have never had 1 residential acct. ask me if I had insurance. I would think you might be OK to get a few cleanups for homeowners, especially if you use the bagger, then theres not much chance of rocks shooting out. Maybe you should just knock on some doors where there are leaves. Time is running out, but when it gets cold, alot of homeowners dread going outside to do that "nasty"work. Do some gutters, too. Good luck!
Old 11-21-2001, 02:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

we are and have been an s corp. for the last 15 years. as far as the insurance is concerned we have a millon dollar policy and a 2.0 millon dollar ballon policy on top of that..