Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-23-2001, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I ran a 3 man crew last season and I don't recommend it, windshield time from property to property It's 3 times longer, something breaks you'll have three guys doin'g nothing, if you have properties real close it may meke sense.
I'd said a 3 man crew does about 220% work than a one man and a 2 man crew does about 175%, let's say you solo mow 10 lawns 2 guys would mow maybe 17 and 3, 22 in a good productive day with nothing breakink up or long lunches.

I'd would go for a 52" hydro and a 36" belt for gates and if you grow and have more than a 2 man crew can handle add a 1 man crew and then make it 2 man crew as thing grow.
Old 11-23-2001, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Member

I got a similar question. I got 55 accts 2 walkers, 52" exmark. Accts vary in size from 3000sq ft to 12000, all residential. I was considering adding a 3rd man but this post has changed my mind. I have an extra trailer, what do you guys think of sending the 3rd man out solo with a walker and all the extra equip that goes with it. Ive got extra weedeaters etc. I wouldnt kill him with yards maybe 5-7 a day
Old 11-23-2001, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

HacMan91 Good idea, I would seperate all 3 to solo crews if you could and pay them commisions. Thia was discussed in a few other threads and Pro Mag.
Old 11-23-2001, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

hac, remember the three could work with the right list of houses.

i worked for a lco when i was in school, and our three man crew did alot. but at the margin it is as lawngodfather said, a one man crew is best.

if you have a spare truck, and the equipment it may be worth it. but if you are thinking of getting a truck to set him up, you might be better off using the 3 man.

the employee himself will also factor. also, how will your customers react when you aren't there? these are the things the numbers don't tell you.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 11-23-2001, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Member

2 V. 3

HEY THERE MAN, I KNOW WHAT YA MEAN. I HAVE 12 RES. YARDS RIGHT NOW THAT I DO BY MYSELF. AND THE WAY I WORK IT I CAN DO 9 IN ONE DAY. I HAVE THEM DOWN TO ABOUT 45-1HOUR EACH. ALL MY YARDS ARE WITHIN 3 MILES OF MY HOUSE SO THE DRIVING TIME IS CUT. AND DOING THE NINE, I'M NOT BUSTING MY BUTT ALL DAY. IF YOU GET A LITTLE CREW TOGETHER YOU'LL BE ABLE TO KNOCK A LOT OUT IN ONE DAY$$$$$$$

GOOD LUCK
Old 11-23-2001, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

DON'T DOWNplay the equipment you use, if you purchase the right equipment these alone can make up the difference between umproductive equipment and more labor ........the equipment, although has maintenance, is a kind of fixed cost where labor can greatly change

i always believed in the best equipment and only few skilled laborers

i run one sentar54
one walker 42 and 54 deck
one 48 wb

2 man crew

next year will add a turf tiger to the mix and still a 2 man crew and i will schedule their route so they still only have three mowers at a time but they will be super efficient
Old 11-23-2001, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, I took out the ear plugs.

Cajun Welcome to Lawn Site.

Please take off the caps lock, it is coinsidered yelling on forums.