Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-10-2000, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We own a 36'' 14hp scag walk-behind.And this year we are going to buy a bagger for it.I have heard that the metal grass catchers will last longer than cloth,but I have also heard that the cloth bags won't plug up as much.Also what is better,a catcher from the maker of the mower,or are catchers like the grass gobbeler that are made by other companys?<p>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care
Old 02-10-2000, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't have any experience with a cloth bagger, however, I use a metal catcher on my 48 lesco WHEN I HAVE TO and it does a good job. I emphasize WHEN I HAVE TO because it fills up too quickly with that width cut. time is money and you aren't mowing and making money when you're dumping the bagger.<p>also, you should get lots of comments on the fact that you ought to be mulching instead. I'll let someone else take over now. good luck.<p>GEO
Old 02-10-2000, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Geogunn<p>Thanks for your reply.Yes I know that multching is better for the lawn,I use to bag all the time a couple of years ago and I have switched to side-discharge decks.I won't be useing the bagger on my scag often.The only time I will be using it is in the fall(for leaves)and when a client asks for bagging(most of my clients like side discharge but one of my clients likes bagging).<p>form:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care
Old 02-11-2000, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Stay away from the cloth bagger from Scag. My experience is the only time they fill completely is in the Fall and mine only lasted one season before the cloth wore out. The metal catcher from Scag works great, but is very heavy. I am going to try the aluminum catcher from Accelerator this Spring. Another bagger that I would stay away from is the plastic grass packer, good idea, but bad design. Never fills. Hope this helps you.
Old 02-12-2000, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I currently have 2 scag's, I used to use the cloth bag from scag, but the plate sucks big time and adds about 2 inches width to the amchine. I bought an accelerator and loved it, no plate, very lightweight, and it has a hinged back door for fast and easy dumping. It costs about $100.00 more than the other bags though.
Old 02-12-2000, 09:44 PM
Banned

I to hate bagging but if have to no more cloth use Grasss Gobblers. Have them for any mowwer work great. Plus they make a jumbo Gobbler which holds more. The mount is on top of the deck by the discharge. So nothing hangs over the edge. Rans around $ 100 to $ 130