Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-02-2000, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey everyone;<p>I am writing a business plan for a lawn care company that I hope to start this spring. I am currently trying to formulate a good mission statement that will have all the necessary ingredients that are required of a mission statement. If you could state your mission statement to give me an idea of what to include or know where I could get ideas on the Internet that would be very helpful. Thanks for any information.<br>Dave <p>
Old 02-02-2000, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Short and Sweet:<br>&quot;To make our Customers<br>The Focus of Everything<br>We do.&quot;<br>We try to follow that everyday.
Old 02-02-2000, 10:13 PM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

&quot;Picture Perfect Lawns Is Our Goal&quot; This is what we strive to do to make our customers happy. <br><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 02-02-2000, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I believe the above two posts are more like philosophies. Not actual Mission Statements. The best place to look for these would be books at the library titled &quot;Business Plans.&quot; I am definitely not an expert but this is what one of the books told me. I stole mine from Pizza Hut's.<p>----------<br>Integrated Landscape Solutions<br>Lexington, KY
Old 02-02-2000, 10:52 PM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Hey, I'm no expert either. I was hoping Niel knew what he was talking about. I admit I could be wrong, they kicked me out of kindergarden for not shaving. <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 02-02-2000, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I use the old wal-mart saying &quot;customer satisfaction garunteed&quot; and try to stick to it. Eric if you got kicked out for not shving you must one ugly sucker haha.<p>----------<br>Dale moonarrow@hotmail.com<br>Southern lawn and Landscape
Old 02-03-2000, 02:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Most of the above are not Mission Statements. They are what marketing people call a USP. That is, a Unique Selling Proposition. A small phrase that uniquely identifies your company with something desirable. Examples of famous USPs; &quot;Visa, it's everywhere you want to be.&quot;, &quot;Federal Express - when it absolutely positively has to be there overnight.&quot; , &quot;M & Ms - the milk chocolate melts in your mouth not in your hands.&quot;, etc. <p>These are very important! USPs are a GREAT way to stand out from the crowd. And that gets important when times get tough. Our USP is &quot;Setting The Gold Standard In Landscape Maintenance&quot;. <p>A mission statement, though, is more of a one or two paragraph statement of your purpose and direction you see it taking you AND your company. I don't want to type up all the examples, but a good mission statment should properly balance your goals with your company's goals. It should also convey the image you want to set or the eventual way you want your company to be viewed. <p>For more about USPs, Mission Statements, etc. I would HIGHLY recommend getting the book &quot;Fired Up - the proven priciples of successful entrepreneurs&quot; by Michael Gill and Sheila Patterson. It's an excellent book and has several chapters about just these two topics. The book is mainly for people who are either 1) Just starting a business of their own or 2) Still fairly new in their business. It's packed full of invaluable tips. The chapter on USP in particular is worth it's weight in gold to me. List price is $12 but I found it used at Powells Books for $8. <p>----------<br>Jim Lewis - Lewis Landscape Services<br>http://www.lewislandscape.com
Old 02-03-2000, 06:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My mission is not only to make the customer happy but make my workers happy too. Its easy to cut nice stripes but to live a clean live and do what you like to do for a living is the best part. Not everyone gets to ride on a z mower during the summer months. This seems to me a fun thing to do. This is my mission. To Enjoy myself and still be profitable. <p><br>bdemir<br>B&D Lawncare and Snow
Old 02-03-2000, 07:22 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

my statement of mission...?<p>&quot;mow, trim, blow and GO!&quot;<p>GEO
Old 02-04-2000, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I like that one geogunn! :-) <p>----------<br>Jim Lewis - Lewis Landscape Services<br>http://www.lewislandscape.com