Register free!

Old 10-15-2007, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I hear ya! I just dont see the problems with Par 36 lamps. To me they have always been a reliable lamp to use. I really believe that people just associate Par's with Well Lights and there beef has more to do with the welllight than the lamp. But I dont know. Eddie is one of the more credible guys here so I trust what he says but I think it comes down tot he fixture as well as the manufacturer of the Par lamp. We have had experience with Sylvania Par lamps wich were crap and failed almost imediatly but the GE seems to be such a reliable bulb, I just cant get away from it!
Old 10-15-2007, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden Lights View Post
Pete, I forgot about the lamp charts. Sorry

I still consider two main types and qualities of Landscape lighting.

Those who spec Par's out of attempt to gain market share from being the cheapest guy around.

vs.

Those who spec MR's out of attempt to provide quality outdoor lighting that they plan on standing behind and are providing their clients with a far superior product even though it may mean only doing the front yard instead of the front and the back yard due to budget constraints. In 3-5 years the price savings of Pars will long be forgotten and MR systems will become the least expensive system.
Depends on the fixture. There are plenty of PAR fixtures that cost more than MR16 accents. Such as the 15488 or the Hadco Rubber Boot Well, both of which are 5-7 bucks more than a 15384 accent. I'm not even gonna start on the price of an Apollo or Big Bang from Unique (sorry Joey).

Then, if you consider the fact that MR16 bulbs are HALF the price of a PAR bulb, the argument for people using PARs for a market penetration strategy goes out the window.

Not that I'm advocating PARs or anything
Old 10-15-2007, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwsmity View Post
Depends on the fixture. There are plenty of PAR fixtures that cost more than MR16 accents. Such as the 15488 or the Hadco Rubber Boot Well, both of which are 5-7 bucks more than a 15384 accent. I'm not even gonna start on the price of an Apollo or Big Bang from Unique (sorry Joey).

Then, if you consider the fact that MR16 bulbs are HALF the price of a PAR bulb, the argument for people using PARs for a market penetration strategy goes out the window.

Not that I'm advocating PARs or anything

Old 10-15-2007, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post

hey, not saying that they aren't worth the cost!
Old 10-15-2007, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwsmity View Post
hey, not saying that they aren't worth the cost!
Good save!! LOL
Old 10-15-2007, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pars

Out of the top 5-10 most respected lighting people, who uses or specs pars as their to go to lamp? Jan Moyer? Greg Yale? Tom Williams? Randall White? Naomi Miller? Nate Mullen? Lew Waltz? Pars are popular and have market share because of price. Yes the Hadco Il is about the same price as a 15384, but your comparing one of the best Pars to one of the lease expensive MR fixtures and I will say I wouldn't trade one 15384 for one IL.

Par's

Get kicked over-Wells
Are big and Ugly
Lamps are expensive when you consider their very poor quality.
Very limited low wattage lamp choices.
Par lamp holders don't hold adjustments well. (Except the bigbang, how many of those have you guys installed?)
Collect Debris
Catch Fire
Glare free fixtures clip the photometrics very badley.
Did I say Big and ugly?
Old 10-15-2007, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

i also am in the don't know crap area.
i do not like par's as much as mr's...
it could be availability, but with all the wattage and spread choices in the mr line, i cannot imagine having more flexibility in a par line.

the par light is really nothing more than an automotive light.

we only do about $60-70K/year in lighting, so it is not our primary company focus, so i very will may be out of my league on this argument, but i do not like the par's.
bobcat T200
way too much other crap
Old 10-15-2007, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Dang Eddie, did the Par do something to you? You sound like your about to go postal on one! LOL

I feel the same way about aluminum pathlights!

But seriously you obviously do just fine without them but dont discourage others from finding out for themselves.

There has to be just as many supporters of good PAR 36 lamps and "Big Bulky" recessed lights....for the record I have never hurt myself on a well light nor has my toe ever suffured from one, I cannot say the same for the Big Bang. If you dont watch out that light could jump up out of the ground and kick your @%$!! If a well light is Danny DeVito, the Big Bang is Arnold!

But for as many people who dislike the lamp there are just as many who like and use it.

Joey D.
Supporter of the GE Par36!!
Old 10-15-2007, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, I think I voiced my opinion on this topic enough and I am ready to leave this alone. I would like to leave you with one thought or a couple of pics that I share with people from time to time. If it was your house which fixture and photometrics would you chose? This is a unedited pic 15384 MR 20W40 degree lamp w/OSL vs. A Hadco well with a GE Par36 20W Flood. Same setback, same voltage, same everything. Many people consider the 15384 a very clipping fixture also. Which would you chose, I hope all my competitors keep using the par fixture and lamp!
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2007, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Eddie you got to come better than that. That was like comparing a Turd to a Sunset.

That well Light is hideous and would never sit up out of the ground. And who would light a sided plain white wall like that anyway with a well. I mean you could but ofcourse the bullet will win out there.

But I appreciate your fire!!!!!!