Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-28-2001, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the replies . . . been tied up in the hospital the past couple of day . . . couldn't reply any sooner. . .

We have similar problems, initial maintenance whether for a new item or for a new period ("season") is done fairly on schedule. It is the long term regular maintenance that usually gets neglected.

Our schedule is not the same week after week after week so we're trying to find a way to be able to monitor how much a piece of equipment (that doesn't have a meter) is being used. Obviously, we'd like to service the equipment regularly but at the same time not waste performing services more frequently that is necessary.

Manually logging down hours, although cumbersome for small equipment, is a valid solution. However, we're looking for a better system one if it exists.

Stonehenge, are you looking to go back to Maui or Lanai or some other island?

Aloha to you all

Takara Landscaping
Kaneohe, HI
Old 11-28-2001, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm looking to go to any island, or place on an island, where there are hardly any people, hardly any hotels, hardly any tourists...

Just slightly more populated than Gilligan's Island and I'll be in heaven.

We don't do any manual logs on the small eqpt either. It's more on an as-needed basis, other than the regular monthly (and of course the end-of-season-tear-apart-everything-and-clean-and fix-it) schedule. So, if a throttle is sticking, I'll take a little time on the weekend or early one morning and work on that and anything else I find on that piece of eqpt.

Very low tech, and as we grow we will likely need something better, too.
Old 11-28-2001, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Member

OIL SAMPLES

For you equipment, try oil samples. It is a great and inexpensive too for setting a maint. schedule. When you change the oil, fill the sample cup and mail it in. In a couple of weeks, you will get a sheet that will list all metals involved with the engine and % of each found in the oil. It will also tell you what % of oil life was left. If you have a certain metal % that is too high, it is indicating that you have a problem that you can fix before it goes down in the field. The manufacturers schedules are standard. Each operators situation and use of that machine is different. This is an inexpensive way to custom tailor a maint. schedule for your biz.

The kits are available for under $20. The info. is priceless.

As far as a dedicated schedule. I leave it the responsibility of a single person. I do it personally, but as I grow, I will pass this on to one person alone. One person keeping tabs on this makes it easier. It only takes a few minutes of an evenig to change the oil and filter. You should grease daily anyway.

Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you!

Matthew