Toro 115 39.25%
Honda 139 47.44%
Ariens 5 1.71%
Lawnboy 34 11.60%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2007, 02:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Smile The Joy of 2 strokes

Those old Lawn Boy Pros were incredibly powerful for their weight.
Also, because they did not have an oil pump pickup from an oil pan crankcase, they were very tolerant of extreme attitudes.

Several years ago, I had a large corner lot which I maintained as a sort of showpiece. It was a nice lot with some stately trees on the busiest intersection in the county. Unfortunately it was bounded by cavernous county ditches.

I put ubolts on one Lawn Boy in order to attach ropes to pull and guide the mower along the sides and bottoms of the ditches.

To minimize gas spilling, I made an "all terrain" fuel tank from a modified 1 gallon Rotella T jug and hung it from the mower handlebar.

It worked great and those ditches looked like a manicured golf course green ... ( after a lot of work).

Old 10-21-2007, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

uh oh. toro is behind.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodChucker View Post

I put ubolts on one Lawn Boy in order to attach ropes to pull and guide the mower along the sides and bottoms of the ditches.

To minimize gas spilling, I made an "all terrain" fuel tank from a modified 1 gallon Rotella T jug and hung it from the mower handlebar.

It worked great and those ditches looked like a manicured golf course green ... ( after a lot of work).

I'm trying to visualize that setup but sure would like to see a picture of that in action
Old 10-22-2007, 02:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Smile Imagine

Remember when we were kids and we flew those control line model airplanes with 2 lines tethered to a control handle that we moved back and forth to make the airplane go up and down.

Imagine the same idea with a mower controlled by 2 ropes to move it up and down on a very steep slope.

I ran a 3/8" solid braid nylon rope through a 2' length of thick wall 3/4" PVC schedule 40 for a control handle.
Then I tied snap hooks onto the 2 ends and attached them to ubolts that I had installed fore and aft on the thick aluminum deck of the Lawn Boy Pro.

The "all terrain" gas tank (a 1 gallon Rotella T jug) hung from the handle cross bar on a double loop of 3/8" solid braid nylon rope so that it was always vertical no matter what the mower angle of attack might be.
I had installed a hose barb fitting in the jug and ran a fuel line to the mower carburetor.

It was great for mowing difficult areas that you could not (or did not want to) walk across.

I suppose that some day we will have radio controlled self propelled robot mowers that can go anywhere.

Of course, they will put all of us out of work ... unless we will work cheaper than the robot mowers.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:47 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Remember when we were kids and we flew those control line model airplanes with 2 lines tethered to a control handle that we moved back and forth to make the airplane go up and down.

Imagine the same idea with a mower controlled by 2 ropes to move it up and down on a very steep slope.

I ran a 3/8" solid braid nylon rope through a 2' length of thick wall 3/4" PVC schedule 40 for a control handle.
Then I tied snap hooks onto the 2 ends and attached them to ubolts that I had installed fore and aft on the thick aluminum deck of the Lawn Boy Pro.

The "all terrain" gas tank (a 1 gallon Rotella T jug) hung from the handle cross bar on a double loop of 3/8" solid braid nylon rope so that it was always vertical no matter what the mower angle of attack might be.
I had installed a hose barb fitting in the jug and ran a fuel line to the mower carburetor.

It was great for mowing difficult areas that you could not (or did not want to) walk across.

I suppose that some day we will have radio controlled self propelled robot mowers that can go anywhere.

Of course, they will put all of us out of work ... unless we will work cheaper than the robot mowers.

OK now for your next project, purchase a few industrial servos a RC receiver and a 4 or 5 channel RC transmitter, install the servos and receiver on a Z and just lounge on a lawn chair and mow your lawn by remote control
Old 10-22-2007, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshskis View Post
OK now for your next project, purchase a few industrial servos a RC receiver and a 4 or 5 channel RC transmitter, install the servos and receiver on a Z and just lounge on a lawn chair and mow your lawn by remote control
http://www.remotecontrolmower.com/
Old 11-08-2007, 04:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Robots ?

Well, it had to happen eventually.

Next, I suppose we will be running 2 machines with a control in each hand!

Old 11-08-2007, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

Well, it had to happen eventually.

Next, I suppose we will be running 2 machines with a control in each hand!

I couldn't find it but I think it was Kubota? was working on something many years (10-15) ago. They had a full size Z turn that was setup with remote control for mowing steep side hills and rough areas. I never saw it on the market but sounded pretty good.

I'm sure it would have been pretty costly.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Driving around town looking to see what the other crews are using i don't think i ever seen someone who isnt using the Honda's mabey there's something there or it could be its a Alaska an lack of lawn mower dealers
Old 10-27-2011, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Skip the 21" and go straight to a yBravo 25. Not a perfect mower but I can't see myself going back to a 21".

Honda commercial engine
Strong performer in wet grass...even better with the optional high vent bag.