Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-09-2000, 09:57 PM
Ken

What type of head do you use on your trimmer?<br>Is there an ideal string diameter? An ideal length? Is there a brand of sting that out performs the others? Any tips on maintaince and general use would be appreciated. Brand is not an issue here. Thanks in advance
Old 02-09-2000, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the tap-to-feed head (standard Echo type) Trimmer line diameter, shape, etc. varies based on type of grass
Old 02-10-2000, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Ken just make sure to stay away from fixed line heads. Their simplicity is deceptive, operators don't change line often enough and loose productivity. Maintaining 18&quot; cut is much more productive than 12&quot;. I always kept extra wound spools on truck to keep operators from wasting time rewinding string on job site. parts much cheaper than labor.<br>As far as line goes the best strings wear to a point, this is where all the cutting takes place anyway. the shape of the line only cuts better when line is new, first time you hit something all sharp edges are gone. Oddly shapes like triangular seem to give fuzzier cut cause string woobles more while spinning. this is like mowing with bent mower blade or spindle. Also square string has less material than round cause they measure diagonally, so given same material it will wear faster. <br>Most important junk immediately any string that frays and/or welds regularly = bad polymer. Fraying is very bad cause it soaks up power (hard to notice), wears out clutchs faster and does not cut cleanly.<br>Steve
Old 02-10-2000, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Member

The one problem we had with the Echo trimmers was that the head would not close right and would spin off of the trimmer every so often. When this happens you have 5-10 minutes down time. Since then I have bought Red Max and all the guys have liked using those better than the Echos or Stihls we have. The Red Max has a similiar head to the Echo but it has a locking feature that works great.
Old 02-10-2000, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I use fully auto-matic heads on my T-270's. When you need more line, just give it full thottle for a few seconds and it spits out the line. It stops at a 17&quot; -20&quot; swath. No tapping, no donut marks in the grass, and wearing out the button on the bottom of the head. When trimming large areas I always carry an extra spool of line. If you don't carry extra line you will always run out at the furthest point from your truck. Bob
Old 02-10-2000, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We use the heads that release the line manually.Some would say the the tap heads are faster but we found the the manual release are a simpler design and last longer.Some tap heads when they get older will stick and it becomes hard to release the line.Plus when you release with the tap design,often too much comes out and you have to stand there and wait for the line to snap off,plus it can make alot of noize trying to get that extra line off.If that happens alot you can waste alot of line in the long run.We noticed to with the bump heads often when you bump the line it will leave deep circular marks in the lawn where you did it.That's just what I have noticed,I'm sure there are some people who have never had any problems with the bump release heads.Also I read a study that agrees with edgit's comments about the style of line you use.The study said that round line lasts longer and does a better job.<p>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care