Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-26-2001, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well I hate to disappoint the last two posts. I know for a fact Bills work is far superior to Ed's as I see it everyday. As far as who keeps the most cheese, that one is easy to see, all one needs to do is drive by Bills house, plus the other ones he owns, or even his shop.
Old 11-26-2001, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dave

Please change My above post to read Ric's Wantabe instead of Bills topnotch. Ric is friends with Ed, George and Joe Lowball. Ric's Wantabe turns his nose up at the Lowball brother's work. Ric is very proud of his work, and always on his help about doing thing better regardless of time. Ric has all the toys for doing a better job. Ric's business looks real good on paper. Ric always pays his bills on time. The bank is always willing to give Ric Credit. Ric's is alway in a cash flow bind. The Lowball Brothers Drive nice cars and old work trucks they live in nice houses (bigger Than Ric) and take nice vacations. And always have money in their pockets.

I am sure many of you post, then sleep on it. You then think I should of said or I shouldn't of said. I don't think the lowball brother are scrubs. You don't always get what you pay for. But you sure don't get more than you pay for. Eds Lowball customer realize this fact. Eds lowball customer don't want Ric's Wantabe prices. Ric's Wantabe's customer don't want Ed's Lowball's work.

That my .05 worth.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 11-28-2001, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ric:

Could you repeat that in one breath? I can't read that fast.
Old 11-28-2001, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Member

??

Are you talking about quality of work or profit?

There is a distinct difference between high quality and high profit. I have some aweful looking accounts that net more dollars than some of my better looking places. There is a guy in town that uses complete junk. He is a mow-blow guy and he takes care of some terrible properties. He pays his helper $5.50 per hour. He nets almost as much money as anyone else with low overhead and very little worries. His customers don't complain because they don't expect much.

It is about making money. Many times I know I can make a property look better with many add on's, but the customer doesn't want to do it and I make good $$ just cutting the lawn.

It is about time vs. dollars. There are only so many hours in the day, so you need to maximize the dollars per hour you earn.

Matthew
Old 11-28-2001, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

OSC

Matthew said it in one breath. Thank you Matthew. Wantabes try to hard sometimes. But they mean well.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 11-28-2001, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Reread <a href="http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?postid=199327#post199327">Ric's second post</a> above

That one is going into my collection of LawnSite classics. Maybe Ric can't spell, and we know he can't add, but he has a great way of distilling the situation and putting it in words. He's just too nice to say it simply: if your competition is lowballers, then maybe you are a lowballer.

In any business field, there are operators with class, and there are plenty of others. There is also clientele with class, and plenty of others. When you try to achieve class, you really don't need to worry about competition.

Thank you, Ric.
Old 11-30-2001, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have to say that this post is timely for my biz and very right on the mark. We do meticulous work and compete with both lowballers and the local 10 employee big dog. He charges more, does less than nice work, and still gets jobs away from me. We are not cheap, but our overhead is less and we consistently are 10 to 15% less. Gettin real tired of people with $500k homes P&M about an extra $200 on a bill for work they wanted while you were there but wouldn't do for free. Sorry, just had to get that out.