Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-15-2007, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

John Deere JX75 belt problem

I have an older JX75 that I have replaced the drive belt for the transmission on twice now and it keeps getting thrown/chewed off the spindle. My question is could the drive gear be out of tolerance or am I missing some kind of guard/tensioner? The drive cable is brand new also. The mower itself is about 10 yrs old. Has any one experienced this similar problem before???????Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are the belts from JD? If not you may be buying a simular belt but not the exact one. I don't buy OEM belts much but I have found especially on JD mule drives the OEM belts stay on.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

make shure the tabs on the belt gaurd at the trans end are not bent out . you can bend them in so they keep the belt closer to the trans pully and the belt cant jump off then
Old 09-20-2007, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Member

I usually get the exact replacement belts from JD. I double checked the tabs on the driven pulley and the tab on the right was bent out quite a bit. That seems to have done the trick. Thanks for the tip Dan. Looks like I'm gonna have to replace the BBC any way next spring. The pad on top is worn down next to nothing. Si I might as well replace the belt whilee the rest of the gear is off.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Well the driven pulley tightening up didn't do it. The belt keeps slipping off from the drive pulleyand getting chewed up. So I guess I'm gonna have to replace the BBC (clutch) before spring time after all? I don't think that pulleys wear out much?Since I don't feel like raking leaves, I'll be putting the BBC on during the rainy periods today.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Well the new belt and BBC (clutch) didn't fix the problem either? I did notice that the cable for the clutch control is adjusted all the way up too? The last two things left is the drive and the driven (transmission) pulley. That'll be everything under the deck to make it go with the exception of the transmission itself! Really starting to try the ol patients! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I haven't posted because I have never seen one of these units up close (none in my area).

But, After looking at the parts break-down and my new Deere service manual the only possible reason I see for the belt coming off is as dan stated with the belt guides. I don't believe replacing pulleys will get you anywhere.

Make sure the engine pulley guides are no further than 1/8" from the back of the belt while engaged. Also check the trans. pulley guides for the same spec. to make sure they haven't been bent away at some point in time for a belt replacement, The trans. pulley should be removed when replacing this belt.

Good Luck

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 11-01-2007, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replyRob. I'll check the distance on the belt guides. There is only one bracket underneath where the drive pulley is situated and there is only one way they can go on. I didn't notice any other belt guides up near the drive pulley. Also, if you look at the picture you posted see the cable on the side with the jam nuts? The distance on the threads is about half way which it should be. My cable is adjusted all the way down to keep the tension on the trans pulley???????????? I'll try the belt guides and let ya know.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
I didn't notice any other belt guides up near the drive pulley.
I don't have the serial number off your unit but there are only two number breaks and both show that there is supposed to be a double fingered belt guide at the engine crankshaft pulley as below.

If you can figure out this guide problem you may be able to adjust the engagement cable properly.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 11-02-2007, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Member

rob

My JA62 has that type of guide but I don't think that the JX75 ever had that one? There is a plate that bolts up with the clutch plate bolt that has the two flat tabs on the side? I'll try and adjust the ones there?