Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-27-2000, 04:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Back in '93 I bought a Ariens LE 500,Not sure if it is made,but it does look like the Tanaka of today.I beleave it is the one Lazer is speaking of.2 stroke 50cc with a power output of 2.5hp.no belts shaft drive[nice]But it is just over $500.00.It does a nice job lots of power...it just likes to eat blades.Just like any other 2 stroke,shut it down right in the fall.....fresh fuel in the spring 2 or 3 pulls and its ready to rock.
Old 02-03-2000, 09:02 PM
Banned

yea buddy! i got that same mclane oil/plug study going on here!good as new - and think what you save in time and disposal fees!mine just chews up $2 blades and i had to remove all the belt guard sheilds because they really chewed up belts...still starts on the first pull...maybe i'll change the oil and plug and keep it 3 more years!!!moral of story-don't get your wallet edged by an edger...my billy goat has a briggs and still picks up anything it can!
Old 02-04-2000, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Member

I have had fare experiences with McLane's my first 2 each lasted 2 years each. On my latest one I bought the Deluxe model that has a better Briggs engine with oversized fuel tank large muffler and easy start and on/off switch. This thing has been great it starts on the very first pull every single time and I have never done anything but change the oil. This will be its third year.
Old 02-09-2000, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would look into the scag edger.I don't own one so I can't say it is the best.But I have looked into edgers in the past and the reason I like scag is they are very simple.It has no movable parts near the drive head,no springs to break,and no sliding booms or head.The only draw back to me would be that it comes with a briggs engine,I love honda engines myself,but the good thing is that if down the road the briggs quit on you it looks from the brochure like it would be easy to install an other engine.<p>I hope this helps you out!<p>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care
Old 02-09-2000, 03:39 PM
Banned

Scag has a no-engine option, so you can put the Honda on if that's your preference.&lt;p&gt;John