yes, i go monthly 9 8.49%
yes, i do it when i can 69 65.09%
No, Iíve never done it before 14 13.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2007, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=Envy Lawn Service;2035198]Davis45,

Very very nice YFZ.
I love the lines on your plastics... especially in front.
Who ever did that first, I give them props...

[QUOTE]

thank you i just sold it to a guy in canada. The plastic style was first ran by pro rider jason luburgh.

I also agree, my next quad will be the KTM when my injuries heal and they release the MX/SX version.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have never been one to shy away from controversy, so I'm not going to start now....even amongst a crowd.

I and my family have ridden ATV's in the past, quite a bit in fact, at an uncle's farm in Indiana a few years ago. They can be quite fun if ridden safely, no question.

The biggest problem I see with them is the gross environmental destruction that many drivers cause with them!
(And you guys are green industry people, too. I think most of you know where I'm coming from here)
Yeah, there may be some folks out there who have 'set' trails, with ditches and pipe culverts well in place. But you'd have to agree that's rare.
Much more often you see random trails going wherever, through whatever habitat gets in the way, taking little consideration for erosion patterns.

Another problem is the 'sprawl' of them in general into unauthorized land. I went camping and climbing at Red River Gorge / Dan'l Boone Nat'l Forest in KY two weeks ago with some buddies and had issues with them encroaching into the national forest area where we were. In fact, two 4 wheelers zipped past our camp area in the twilight, right toward a gravel parking area where I knew that there had been Ranger parked minutes before. Sure enough, they got nailed!

Don't mean to poop on your parade so much, but you should hear this perspective and understand why these ATVs can be damaging in different ways, other than that of killing yourself in a turnover or something.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
Don't mean to poop on your parade so much, but you should hear this perspective and understand why these ATVs can be damaging in different ways, other than that of killing yourself in a turnover or something.
you can die on a mower in a 'turnover' also.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis45 View Post
you can die on a mower in a 'turnover' also.
True, but can you get up to the same speeds, even with your 'Dixie Chopper'? Or climb the same steep slopes on the same type of terrain?
No!
That increases the odds of injury or death on an ATV tremendously.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

about the atv safety and other things

just because of a few bad apples i dont let that ruin my atv experience. atvs are very fun way too get out and is far cheaper to own then a horse will ever be. as for the danger part um maybe try slowing down and when you go out ridding USE ATV SAFETY FLAGS they do work! they are required at the park I ride at for atv's. One thing for sure they really need to have more training done for atving and riding dirt bikes. I started small which was on a mini bike then worked my way up to 325 Trailboss and yes I did fall off once and thank god I always and I mean always wear my helmet I dont care if Im just moving the atv from the trailer to the garage I wear it. Then I got my 500 sportsman because Ive got a nice grandpa. but i did practice on a 600 sportsman before I got it at a friend of his.
the best advice I can give people looking into this sport is start out small and If you cant be good Be careful.

also At least where i live the law enforcment is pretty strict about riding where your not suposed too.
I dont have a problems because two atv trail parks are 30-45 min near me. and there pretty nice they paths to fallow.

Last edited by mower&more1986; 11-23-2007 at 12:29 AM. Reason: forgot somthing
Old 11-23-2007, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

also At least where i live the law enforcment is pretty strict about riding where your not suposed too.
I dont have a problems because two atv trail parks are 30-45 min near me. and they have pretty nice they paths with nice trees and medows.
I really dont ride really fast because Im not in a hurry to meet a tree. I want too slow down and see nature. when I rode at my grandfathers farm I saw deer and lot other neat things. it was probly some of the most happy times of my life but those day are gone. at least Ive still got my atv.
theres alot too see in this country in some times atv Is the only too get there so dont go bashing my sport because of some people that dont know how to respect the land.
I sugest you check out fishers ATV world
http://www.fishersatvworld.com/home.html
like I said theres alot of this country too see.

Last edited by mower&more1986; 11-23-2007 at 12:38 AM. Reason: forgot somthing
Old 11-23-2007, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mower&more1986 View Post
I dont have a problems because two atv trail parks are 30-45 min near me. and they have pretty nice they paths with nice trees and medows.
I really dont ride really fast because Im not in a hurry to meet a tree. I want too slow down and see nature. when I rode at my grandfathers farm I saw deer and lot other neat things. it was probly some of the most happy times of my life but those day are gone. at least Ive still got my atv.
theres alot too see in this country in some times atv Is the only too get there so dont go bashing my sport because of some people that dont know how to respect the land.
I sugest you check out fishers ATV world
http://www.fishersatvworld.com/home.html
like I said theres alot of this country too see.
Well, I've found that there is all types of DIFFERENT attitudes about what IS acceptable 'trail protocol' and what is NOT when it comes to riding ATVs.

You sound like you have a respectful attitude toward the environment, mower&more. That's great! I hope you pass that on to your family and others as you go along.
I think the key to having an ATV and using it right is to set permanant trails with ditches, pipe culverts, etc (just think like a raindrop!) and to stay on them.

But here's some examples of some stuff I see commonly done around me here in S. Ohio:

1) ATV Riders going off set 'trails' and just going WILD into whatever else is out there! Be it a woods, hayfield, cornfield, or whatever!

2) Making 'ramps' out of soil for jumping their ATVs, (consequently tearing up the surrounding vegetation doing so), and then just leaving their ugly mounds and holes to just sit there and cause erosion problems and / or otherwise become a hazard / problem for someone else to fix later.

3) ATV Riders absolutely destroying the habitats of creek dwellers like salamanders and crawfish, and sometimes absolutely trashing creekbeds with treadmarks, running the ATVs up and down the creeks with absolutely apparantly giving no thought about anyone else's recreation desires but theirs!

4) Going off set trails on private property on to public park property , often disturbing camping and hiking activities, etc, and destroying the habitat in much the same way as described in 1, 2 & 3.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

bump. "breath some life into this thead" maybe an new atv video coming soon
Old 01-04-2008, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

bump to a fresh page
Old 01-04-2008, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike lane lawn care View Post
that was my original thinking, but then i thought you only live once. and i truly don't get out anywhere near as much as i'd like, so even though it is several thousand more than i wanted to spend for an ATV, i justify getting it for my sanity. i test drove it for an afternoon, and my god, the only thing that even comes close is the kubota RTV with the fully enclosed A/C cab, but it doesn't handle anything like this, nor does it go as fast.
Have you gotten it yet? I will get my RZR someday after I take care of my bills