Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-07-2001, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Site evaluation

When doing a site evaluation of a potential new customer what are most of you looking for? What is your site evaluation entail

How much time is spent on a residential property gathering your info for your bid?

Do you walk to customer around the property finding their needs? And what do you do with your recommendations on ways of improving the site?
Old 12-07-2001, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I try to determine how long it will take, travel time and time on site, to get the job done. That, of course, is determined by their needs. I usually throw my recommendations out to them while we're talking but I think that I'm going to start typing out proposals for them when I do that, too.
Old 12-08-2001, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

first thing I always look at it .....edging ....it quickly tells me if they have had a professional service or atleast a good homeowner..... then I ask em how did they hear of use n have they ever had a service in the past ....I also focus on weeds to fiqure if they have a spray service

you can almost feel from the door it they want to walk it .....but I always ask if they would like to come as I walk it or I'll be back in about 10-15 minutes ....generally the walkers are more detail concerned

then I use a check list ..... which helps me to remember certain questions to ask (gonna have to make yur own .... as not each chef cooks the same stew) .....thru the checklist I can quickly come to an estimate

then I explain the different programs we have .....then I ask em what the did not like of the past service ....then I explain what they can expect for use .....as well as our payment layout ....give a proposal .

" Think I'll Come Back Here ....... From
Time to Time ...... Every Now n' Then

Fantasy Lawns. Com
Old 12-08-2001, 06:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Good post Steve. Right on the money.
One other thing we look for is how often the potential customer wants their grass cut. If they say they don't want a weekly cutting, that could very well be a red flag.
Old 12-09-2001, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Theleven, sounds good. I keyed of the fact that you have a checklist. Excellent point to keep you on track with what needs to happen. Do you offer complete maintenance? And if so what services are offered. I noticed you stated that you talk about the different programs you offer.

I feel that the more services you can provide the better chance of increasing profit margin with each customer. Cut, blow, and go is good but I'd rather have 30 customers at 65.00 than 60 at 30.00.

The site evaluation to me is very important because you're not only looking at what is present in the landscape, but how to improve the current site. Maybe a plant is out of place or some foundation plants our needed.

I've been working on a form that has all the site info I need consolidated all in one. I feel that the time spent up front will pay off latter. I'd prefer to walk with the potential client and point out things I see, also you get a better understanding what is important to them.

Thanks for your reply, I expected to get more info from others, but oh well..