Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-17-2007, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clcare2 View Post
Any suggestions??? I am trying to stay away from any ground cover.
I was going to suggest liriope, back in the day I worked for a LCO that planted 16,000 for a job in center city Phila. so I can understand your reasoning to stay away from ground cover. What I would suggest is doing a search for evergreen ground cover and see all the different colors that you could plant.
I couldn't figure out how to spell liriope so I did that search and was surprised at the amount of stuff out there that could be used

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 11-18-2007, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtom45 View Post
Why not eliminate the tree rings and install lawn?
The trees have not had a very good go of it int he last ten years or so.

A new arborist was brought in and we found out that the previous company was pretty scrub about how they did things. 115 of the 120 trees had choker roots that had to be excavated and cut. So on the arborists advice we enlarged the rings. I am not entirely sure why this was done but the consensus around town is that he knows what he is doing.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Maybe it would be a good idea to consult the arborist about how much planting he thinks should be done around the trees. Maples have a lot of surface roots and too much disturbance around the trees might send them into decline. Also, I would take drought tolerance/irrigation into consideration for plants under dense tree canopies and surrounded by a trees feeder roots. From personal experience a mass planting of impatiens around a row of trident maples needed to be watered almost daily despite no direct sunlight. Hope it helps and good luck.