Register free!

Old 11-26-2001, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Member

How to build a Brick Flower Bed ??

I just had a new house built (my first one) and I am so excited about doing so many things, I already put up a garage door opener, stained the fence and extended the back patio with bricks. But I have a whole lot of extra bricks left over that match my house. And I noticed some of my neighbors have lined their flower beds with bricks. It looks really nice. I went over and looked at one and they did 2 rows of the bricks horizontal and then 1 row on top facing the other direction so that it hangs over a little. And the whole flower bed is a curved look. Kinda like a fancy 'W'.... I was wondering if anyone knew of a website that could explain step by step on how to do this... or maybe just tell me. I think the only part I am confused on is how to lay the cement on the ground to be so nice and curvy..... i figure I dont just bring out the hose and pour the bag on the ground.... i will need some boards to form the cement.....but how do I curve them??? thanks alot!!!!!
Old 11-26-2001, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Dude.... Don't waste your time, house bricks are for houses not gardens....they won't last for more than a year or two if they are in contact with the ground... use concrete retaining wall units for walls and concrete pavers for walks and patios..no cement needed.
Old 12-10-2001, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Scott,

Use a garden hose to lay out your curves , then you can either paint with spray paint the curve or just dig it with a spade around the hose... Then Go to either a mason yard or even a home depot or something and get bender board.. It's a thin pliable board that you use to lay concrete forms... Then use stakes to keep the boards in line... Then you can pour your foundation .. to lay the bricks on top of... If the bricks you have are for the exterior of the house they should fair fine in the weather.. But I would suggest keeping them above grade if possibel.. Theis will be unavoidlable in some spots due to elveation changes .. Go to a book store and get yourself a book on masonry... That should give you all the details about the proper depth for the foundation and proper prep and techniques... Good luck with your project..

PS.. Make sure you like the layout and design before you pour cement cause once it done it's not adjustable..

IF you use garden wall blocks instead it's a whole diff story .. Your local supplier could give you dircetions on the particular block you select.. also do a search cause this has been coverd many times on this site..
Old 12-10-2001, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Scott, also make sure you have enough bricks before you get started , cause you may have a real hard time matching them if you run short..