Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-20-2007, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks DBL and Krayz...we are all in this together and hoping the industry stays strong.

Burkhart, as much as i know its good equipment, and that i got a great deal, im finding out that my expectations of it were higher than reality. of course ive only really been using it in the end of the season clean ups and leaf mulching work, so im wanting it to clean up leaves better and faster. however, when it comes to mowing, the amount of time saved is unbeatable. i really love the dane super surfer. i prefer to stand, rather than sit, and everything about it is heavy duty, built to last, material. the only problem i have had is on hills. i lmost rolled it and had to bale off of it, but fortunately it stayed upright and i had to get my son to help me push it back up out of the gulch. i dont like the shindawas as much as the stihl i already had, but thats probably because we like what we are used to. they take longer to get started where as my stihls were very predictable as to what they will do.

my next step is to get licensed and insured, and try to land a few commercial accounts.

we decided on our company name..."Spartan Lawn & Landscape"...with a logo such as.."Excellence in Everything", or something along that line. im going to make my sons/crew wear roman skirts and armour..lol..with those funny helmets riding the mowing chariots...hows that for a marketing plan? not really, but i bet that would get the attention of some "single mom/stay at home/desperate housewife" clients. haha...hmm, i think im on to something here...
Old 11-21-2007, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Member

rsp.. Didnt you say you had the total lawn pgk manual?
Old 11-21-2007, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Member

ooh...lol..sorry, i thought you meant the mowers and such that i purchased and mentioned in my first post. as far as the manual goes, so far, i have not gleened too much info from it. i did find a few good software sites from it, and im hoping to use some of the form letters as a guide. its prompted to me to think about a few things such as how much i bill. and to be honest i have not read the whole thing. ive skimmed through it looking at each chapter/topic, but probably not enough to give a valid opinion. but if one were to ask me right now, would i buy it, knowing what i know, id say...no.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks bud, Im kinda going back and fourth myself on it. Just trying to do everthing I can to get more thing going for my family.