Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-23-2007, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Miller View Post
Bill;

You stated that producing fungi in your AACT, you need to develop a knack while making you tea.

Well, I'm sorry to say, that's a myth. If you activate your compost a week before you make tea, it will not be a hit or miss, you will have good fungal tea. There is no knack required, just simple activation of your compost. There is no mystery behind it or old secret indian tradition.

And as far as 2 year old compost, what does that mean, that it's automatically good because it's two years old? That dog won't hunt. You don't know what's in that compost either unless it has been tested. It could, but it still needs to be tested. What if those tree companies used disease trees as part of their compost? How do you know if those compost piles didn't go anaerobic? I wouldn't use any compost from any company that hasn't tested their compost and can't produce lab results. That's the only way you are going to know for sure.
Gerry, I am sure you are well intentioned but sometimes you rub the wrong way.
So you are telling me that from day one you knew how to "activate" tea fungally??? if not then it was kind of a mystery wasn't it. How many other ways are there out there to "activate" teas??? I don't know either.

about the 2 year old compost statement, The composters I am referring to have more experience than all of us put together. Both companies have a full time employee that does nothing but go around and sample piles.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
Gerry, I am sure you are well intentioned but sometimes you rub the wrong way.
So you are telling me that from day one you knew how to "activate" tea fungally??? if not then it was kind of a mystery wasn't it. How many other ways are there out there to "activate" teas??? I don't know either.

about the 2 year old compost statement, The composters I am referring to have more experience than all of us put together. Both companies have a full time employee that does nothing but go around and sample piles.
If my post rubs you the wrong way perhaps because you make it sound so mysterious how to activate your compost to insure a good fungal count. When I was instructed on how to activate my compost, it worked the first and every time since. It's no big deal, it's no mystery. You just have to be aware of the process and then do it. No secret hand shake required. As far as the piles go, you never mentioned if there was any testing going on, and I go by actual lab test to be certain. Testing was the point being made here.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

While you guys are bickering about whose bugs are better than anothers many on the forum could use some sensible discussion on real business deals relating to organics. This is why it will never take off in the real world.
This is religion to you. "My high priest composter says this and your high priest composter is wrong." Get a life. I am outa here.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
While you guys are bickering about whose bugs are better than anothers many on the forum could use some sensible discussion on real business deals relating to organics. This is why it will never take off in the real world.
This is religion to you. "My high priest composter says this and your high priest composter is wrong." Get a life. I am outa here.
I agree. Most people are not interested in spending large amounts of money to "verify" their amendments, nor are they interested in the science of creating those amendments, they just want to be more organic at a cost that is equivalent or less than they are paying now. This is why educating people on methods of attaining sustainable landscapes in a way they can understand is of critical importance.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's right, don't confuse them with the facts. Make blind decisions. Some scientific training! And you may be surprised to hear this Smallaxe, organics is taking off in the real world. It's the fastest growing segment in the lawn care industry.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Gerry, you need to read your signature line, especially as it applies to your posts.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Gerry,
I am new to this forum and thought I could give a little (maybe I should say tiny bit) of information about my experiences with organic lawn care, I was also hoping to gain some knowledge by meeting new people with different perspectives than mine.
I am however, perplexed at the attitude that you continue to tranmit in a negative way.
It seems to me that you are genuine in your attempt to gain and give information relevant to organics in general, but your abilty to aleinate the very people you should be embracing is beyond me.
If you could figure out how to lighten up a little and not take things so personally it would be extremly helpful to the forum in general.
I am no saint and make no claims of being perfect, but you are running off the very people that you should be helping to instruct.

My $0.02 worth