Register free!

Old 11-24-2007, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Designs for $99.00!!

Just saw this on the sign outside of Pikes in Forsyth Co. I know they have been charging people $350.00-450.00/ design before.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What they probably do is take the remainder off the usual design and put it in the actual project.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can do a design for you for $99 and I can do you one for $3,000. In eather case, you'll get what you pay for.

Is this the nursery that has gone into bancrupcy? They need money. Doing cheap designs is a good way to get the attention of one of the few people who are having landscape work done in your area. It should help snag more plant and/or install sales and worth every bit of it even if it is the same quality of design that they had been charging $450 for. It is proactive marketing. The idea is not to make money on the design or bake the cost into the install. It is investing time and money into making sales that otherwise would not happen.

Good for them for trying hard to keep things going.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Atleast they are not doing it for free like so many.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

its probably a loss leader and has some terms and conditions. Like you have to buy from them to get that price. I give lighting designs all the time if they use me. If not its 349 and up.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Like you guys say, You get what you pay for. These days (during the early spring rush), I swear you could wipe your ass on letterhead and someone would give you $5 for it.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You have to realize that this is in Georgia where there has been extreme drought all year and extreme watering bans. There have been articles in national newspapers about how the landscape industry is being killed down there. Nurseries are closing because no one is planting what they can not water. This particular nursery has been the subject of many articles in trade magazines and web sites (won't mention names out of respect of this web site).

Desparate times call for desparate action. I would not be surprised if these are top notch plans that would have brought in several hundred dollars a year ago. If you were one of the few consumers finishing up a house and you could call any of the hundreds of landscapers desparate for work, wouldn't it make sense to get a $99 plan from a well respected company if all else is the same? If you do a plan, you are in a much stronger position to sell the job and this nursery knows that.