Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-03-2007, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Athletic field business

Hello, I am trying to start an athletic field business. I have experience working on athletic fields from prior jobs. I'm debating wheather to buy a seeder or aerator first? (I plan on purchasing 30 to 40 hp tractor).

I am thinking about buying the new aeravator with a seed box. Most football fields in western Pa need to be seeded in the spring. I could also use the aeravator for grooming skinned infields. I'm concerned that the aeravator may not loosen compacted soil as well as a PTO powered aerator. The aeravator works well in dry consitions, but am not convinced about moist conditions.

On-the-other-hand, I'm thinking about buying an aerator and broadcasting the seed. Then just drag the field.

I'm on a limited budget. Will probably start out with one or the other.

Wondering what you guys think?

Thanks
Old 11-27-2007, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I have the same Ideas but as a part of the commercial side of my business. Thank you for your help in advance.
P.S. what about a pull behind slit-seeder for this application?
Old 11-27-2007, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How do you plan on marketing this service? Is there business in your area through city parks, independent athletic organizations, high schools, colleges, etc. that will hire people for this? I have a full blown operation laid out on paper to handle something of this magnitude, but have not gotten to the point of marketing it or making these organizations believe that it would be better suited economically for them to hire me than to have the equipment and manpower themselves.

SFLQPR
Old 11-28-2007, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriperPro View Post
How do you plan on marketing this service? Is there business in your area through city parks, independent athletic organizations, high schools, colleges, etc. that will hire people for this? I have a full blown operation laid out on paper to handle something of this magnitude, but have not gotten to the point of marketing it or making these organizations believe that it would be better suited economically for them to hire me than to have the equipment and manpower themselves.
Not marketing in the sense of advertising, face to face really. I am friends with the head football coach of a college in the area, drink a few with the parks superintendent and the mayor is best friends w/ my father in law. My only worry is the equipment.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate@TLCS View Post
I have the same Ideas but as a part of the commercial side of my business. Thank you for your help in advance.
P.S. what about a pull behind slit-seeder for this application?
Yeah a three point hitch slit seeder is great for athletic fields. They can be used to seed while breaking up plugs. The draw back is that you can't turn with them, like you can a seeda-vator. The seeda-vator can be used on commerical areas where there are obstacles.

To get into the business, you have to make contacts. The maintenance superintendent where I graduated, was my basketball coach. I talk to him about doing a demo of the seedavator. I invited all the county schools to the demo. No other schools attended, but I got to talk to some of them over the phone and they now know I'm out there. I did the demo when the field was destroy by grubs. I had a window where there were 2 away games in row. I put down 3 lbs/1000 of P. Rye and some starter fert. The local seeda vator dealer and a 1st products rep came and did the demo. The school paid for seed, fert, insecticide and applied them. I paid for nothing and got a lot of recognition for helping out with the field. They mentioned my name over the radio, and now the local boosters club wants to talk to me about there baseball complex. There are all kinds of ways to get your name out there. I just had to get something put together, cost me nothing, and got a lot of praise. This spring will be my first year in business for myself. I hope to find a niche in athletic fields and other large turfed areas.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athletic field View Post
Yeah a three point hitch slit seeder is great for athletic fields. They can be used to seed while breaking up plugs. The draw back is that you can't turn with them, like you can a seeda-vator. The seeda-vator can be used on commerical areas where there are obstacles.

To get into the business, you have to make contacts. The maintenance superintendent where I graduated, was my basketball coach. I talk to him about doing a demo of the seedavator. I invited all the county schools to the demo. No other schools attended, but I got to talk to some of them over the phone and they now know I'm out there. I did the demo when the field was destroy by grubs. I had a window where there were 2 away games in row. I put down 3 lbs/1000 of P. Rye and some starter fert. The local seeda vator dealer and a 1st products rep came and did the demo. The school paid for seed, fert, insecticide and applied them. I paid for nothing and got a lot of recognition for helping out with the field. They mentioned my name over the radio, and now the local boosters club wants to talk to me about there baseball complex. There are all kinds of ways to get your name out there. I just had to get something put together, cost me nothing, and got a lot of praise. This spring will be my first year in business for myself. I hope to find a niche in athletic fields and other large turfed areas.
I am thoroughly impressed.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Check out www.dolturf.com -probably the biggest in that biz around here. Definitely a market for that type of work.