Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-12-2001, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Irrigation Services

I am getting into the irrigation biz a lot now. I'm having a major problem w/ low ballers. What services can I provide to help out? I am using the 33% margin over material, over head and hours. I just bid a 18 zone job in an existing lawn for $9500. I was low balled for $6000. I can't even pay my crew $12/hr and even pay for the material, which I get 42% off, and break even. What should I do? Should I just offer more irrigation services for free or what? HELP!!!
Old 12-12-2001, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Get used to it. Lot of companies you are bidding against don't have any overhead let alone know what it is. YOu will not get all your bids, shoot for 10% or so. Good luck.
Old 12-12-2001, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Member

HELP

What is the deal w/ all of these low ballers? I'm getting tired of this>
Old 12-13-2001, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

here's the deal

Everybody wants to get into applications, irrigation or whatever because they "hear" there is a lot of money in the business. The first thing is they are clueless about money and business, 2nd they are using some other know nothings price formulas and 3rd, they cut the prices to get business.

When your working for $35/cut or whatever, $6000 looks like your in tall clover instead of deep sh.t. I've posted a zillion times about this and I don't have answers.

I heard yesterday these (types) of guys aren't paying bills at the supply houses. I see stuff all the time with prices that would yield me in the teens or 20's of dollars per man hour (for time on the clock). I won't get out of bed for that and I don't know here they are making money to civer the short falls. They have the same phone company, trucks etc as I. I don't get it.

I survive by service and selling some good referalls. I couldn't do it starting fresh today. I needed the head start to accumulate customers. It's almost as if I sell an install anymore it's more like gravy than and not the main dish.