Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-29-2007, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Lesco prices

I was just informed today that my price on 34-3-11 quick release went from $12.78/bag to $22.90/ bag. Has anyone else had an increase this drastic?
Old 11-29-2007, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

HOLY CATS!!! that's insane! I've heard of others complaining of price increases on about 40%, but yours was closer to 80%.

Think it's time to find a new supplier. I know that N has gone way up again, but that much of an increase is not even in the ballpark. JD is going to quickly run the Lesco name out of the business, and then wonder why their acquisition of them didn't turn great profits for them...
Old 11-30-2007, 06:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Haven't noticed anything of any significance. YET.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

haha mine went up also. Already switched suppliers I got at the new place 13-18-22 SCU with Micro Nutrients for $9/ 50lb bag. and I only bought 10. Think of the skid price . Lesco was also $3 a bag more expensive on mag chloride ice treatment and 15cents a bag more expensive on rock salt.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

not much N!!
Old 11-30-2007, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatewayuser View Post
haha mine went up also. Already switched suppliers I got at the new place 13-18-22 SCU with Micro Nutrients for $9/ 50lb bag. and I only bought 10. Think of the skid price . Lesco was also $3 a bag more expensive on mag chloride ice treatment and 15cents a bag more expensive on rock salt.
What are you using this fert for? A maintenance fert?

Indy is right, as that is low N, and also is there any SCU?

Your cost/1000 will be very high is you are using as a maintenance fert (GOING 1# OF N)!
Old 12-01-2007, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I see this all the time. People who go with the lesser amount of N because it's cheaper PER BAG. What they don't realize is that they get LESS square footage out of the bag if they want to apply it at a rate of 1# of N per 1,000 square feet. If you're using 13-18-22, you'll only get 6,500 sq. feet of coverage out of a bag. Compare that to something like a 28-5-12, which cover's 14,000 square feet per bag. If you have 28,000 sq feet to do, the 28-5-12 needed will be 2 bags vs. 5 bags of the 13-18-22.

If you add in the additional labor of loading extra bags, filling your hopper more times and decreased storage space, you have to ask yourself this question, which one is cheaper now?
Old 12-01-2007, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm going to stay with my Morral slow release liquid fert as always.

But I'm thinking of tweaking down the N, and tweaking up the iron a little (during some rounds) to compensate for the 'green'.

But I've still got some budget math to do on that...
Old 12-01-2007, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra View Post
I see this all the time. People who go with the lesser amount of N because it's cheaper PER BAG. What they don't realize is that they get LESS square footage out of the bag if they want to apply it at a rate of 1# of N per 1,000 square feet. If you're using 13-18-22, you'll only get 6,500 sq. feet of coverage out of a bag. Compare that to something like a 28-5-12, which cover's 14,000 square feet per bag. If you have 28,000 sq feet to do, the 28-5-12 needed will be 2 bags vs. 5 bags of the 13-18-22.

If you add in the additional labor of loading extra bags, filling your hopper more times and decreased storage space, you have to ask yourself this question, which one is cheaper now?

I am going off of the soil samples. I bet you use 46 straight too because its so cheap. I don't rip customers off. True Penn State is saying you don't need (P) anymore necessarily however my sample called for it.
And what I see many times are companies putting down the same fertilizer for every lawn but I customize all programs to what the lawn truly needs. Nitrogen only does so much and with this drought we had this year I am working on the root systems primarily. And rcreech you should know this if you have a bs in turf, that is if you do cultural methods. I'm not ChemLawn and if you want to have low costs and charge low prices then go ahead but I don't have to compete with those kinds of companies. If you compare my lawns to "other" companies lawns you WILL see a large difference mine are the first to green back up and fill in the best and last to go dormant in poor conditions. I the 5 years I have been treating lawns I have never lost a lawn to another service provider.
Good advise for noobs though!
Old 12-01-2007, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatewayuser View Post
haha mine went up also. Already switched suppliers I got at the new place 13-18-22 SCU with Micro Nutrients for $9/ 50lb bag. and I only bought 10.
talk is cheap lets see a label and a reciept!!!!!!!!!!!!
cheap fert is not good
good fert is not cheap

what % of scu ?
source of N ?
pot ash mop or sop ?
minors???
mn
mg
sulfur
iron
chlorine high or low directly relate to K

am i making any sense here or just preaching to the choir

you speak of tailor your program to fit but left out all the above...