Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-28-2007, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks Pete. Thanks Eddie.
Yes, I'm sure they will want an increased amount of insurance coverage and I have that on my list of questions to be answered. It is a high end community, and they have already experienced lighting work from some of my competitors, so it is my belief that they are now ready to take the advice of my customers and use me for the project.
Eddie, I understand what you are saying about not making the profit margins on these larger jobs. I normally don't like the larger jobs for this very reason. I find it is much easier, and more profitable, to do five 50-fixture installations than it is to do one 250 fixture job. I've done a few of these "huge" jobs, and in hind-site, I could have done many jobs in the time it took me to design and sell the big ones.
Again, thanks for all of this great info!
Old 11-28-2007, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Think about large jobs as a number of small jobs altogether and approach them as such. yes they take more time to estimate but you could/should be more profittable with them. Less travel time, less marketing, less selling costs, less personalities to deal with (unless the large site owner is a real pita), less billing and collection time, makes scheduling easier as you know where your crews will be over an extended period. For me I'd rather have 50, 50K customers (maybe someday) per year than 200 12,500 jobs. Don't get me wrong I'm appreciative of them all but I find the larger ones more challenging and rewarding. salute
Old 11-28-2007, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yes Pete, I appreciate your observation. I believe, however, that there are few contractors in the world (like us) who command 50 jobs at 50k per year. That is just an insane numer of installations, and I would be impressed to know the person who may be doing it. I'm sure that someone who has the market could pull this off, but his company would probably have to be pretty big to be pulling down 2.5 mil in lighting per year. Again, this is only my observation. Please straighten me out if I'm wrong!
Old 11-29-2007, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
Yes Pete, I appreciate your observation. I believe, however, that there are few contractors in the world (like us) who command 50 jobs at 50k per year. That is just an insane numer of installations, and I would be impressed to know the person who may be doing it. I'm sure that someone who has the market could pull this off, but his company would probably have to be pretty big to be pulling down 2.5 mil in lighting per year. Again, this is only my observation. Please straighten me out if I'm wrong!
I don't know of any personally but they may exist. If they don't they should. The market is very mature now it's not like it's brand new it's really picked up.
Anyone out there doing 2.5 please stand up . Please stand up.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:06 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

im sure some of these multi state companies (not going to mention names but they are in my area doing merc vapors all over the place now) are doing quite a bit more than 2.5

I do know one guys doing about 1.5m with 2 crews. its not impossible altho I doubt a 1 man band could ever do it or even a guy with a crew.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Chris,

Get the plans and send them into us. I will have my guy design the job for you and then if you land it you can change it around and do whatever you want. Then you dont have to worry about wasting any time!!
Old 11-30-2007, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Very gracious of you Joey! I'll keep the gesture in mind, and I'll let you know if I need any help.
Thanks for the offer!
Old 11-30-2007, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

No sweat. We got a really cool in house designer working for us and he does a great job on the specification and design side. He was an installer for about 3 or 4 years so he really understands how a job should be laid out vs someone who just throws out dots on a plan. Let me know.........By the way Congratulations on achieveing Chief Luminary Officer! Nate is going to be extremley jealous of this as he has prided himself on being a Master Illuminoligist. He would love to achieve that title I am sure!!
Old 11-30-2007, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I stole that title from a friend of mine in South FL. There is no credentials to go with it, it's just all fun and games.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It's very creative and I for one think that having a catchy title weather self appointed or accredited is a good thing.