Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-30-2007, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hi Dan -- our spreader "caddy's" are 3 years old, but it's just surface rust that you see. (Need primer & black paint every year.) The deflector shield is shown between the bottom of the hopper & the gear box below. (not a very detailed pic). Just ordered more 288's from Pace Supply from Fairfax, IA -- (just outside Cedar Rapids). About $500 per spreader including deflector & hopper cover, plus shipping. They told me that Spyker offers the same style spreader caddy, but it's about $150.......ouch -- we'll make our own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcenery View Post
American,

Thanks for the pics. I can have that peg moved by a number of people here locally. How many seasons does that spreader have on it? It looks to be worked hard and do you have the side deflector? It's hard to tell from the picture.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 11-30-2007, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

American, looks like a nice set-up. Exactly how does the Spyker adjust the left to right dispersal pattern? Do you change it when shifting to different products? Do you ever catch the particles in a series of pans and weigh it?

I tried that with 10 paper plates last year. Then I counted the particles of fertilizer in each plate. Tricky, time consuming, and variable results. Mostly I adjust the pattern adjustment on my Scotts until it visually appears even.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hi Rig -- The left-to-right pattern has never been a concern for us, although the pattern control cable is easy to tweak. The only exception was when we applied Dylox only, but that was easily fixed when we walked a little faster and had the hopper open at the same setting as the other products we were applying.

Bottom line: try a Spyker 288. I bet you will thank me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
American, looks like a nice set-up. Exactly how does the Spyker adjust the left to right dispersal pattern? Do you change it when shifting to different products? Do you ever catch the particles in a series of pans and weigh it?

I tried that with 10 paper plates last year. Then I counted the particles of fertilizer in each plate. Tricky, time consuming, and variable results. Mostly I adjust the pattern adjustment on my Scotts until it visually appears even.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I misread your question. Sorry. Our Spyker 288's are just one year old.
They have NEVER broke down. They still are just like new units. They have never spilled or misapplied fert. They are industrial-quality. I cannot say the same regarding our LESCO spreaders. In fact, we have lost several customers this year due to burnt lawns caused by broken pins in these "other" spreaders. We have over a dozen LESCO spreaders for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcenery View Post
American,

Thanks for the pics. I can have that peg moved by a number of people here locally. How many seasons does that spreader have on it? It looks to be worked hard and do you have the side deflector? It's hard to tell from the picture.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 11-30-2007, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Member

American,

Thanks for the caddy pics. I'm going to have a friend move those pegs for me like you did to fit the 288 super that I ordered yesterday. I'm tired of the broken drive wheel pins and flat tires with the Lesco units. Riggle, does you Scotts spreader have the helical cone? If so do you have to adjust it a lot to even out the pattern?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 11-30-2007, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cenery and interested parties,
I don't think there has been any air in my tires for years. Stiff rubber holds 'em up, I guess. Drive pins are usually a big spike nail. Bent.

Yes, I have the Scotts (Andersons) helical cone pattern adjustment. Works very well. Once I get it calibrated and the pattern is even, I write the data inside the hopper with a paint marker. Usually set the cone at 5. The settings may change when I switch to different fertilizer, to Merit or to crabgrass control. I have to clean a residue off the orange cone and impeller in humid weather. Use a plastic putty knife.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the best spreading PG is the Centri! wonder why they ever changed it?
I would guess so they could sell them at Lesco?
Old 12-01-2007, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Spreader opening

Don't like the three small holes on a Lesco spread?

Its simple. Just cover the two holes on the left and right with duct tape. Open the setting up by about two notches more. Large particles and lumps go right through. You want the opening to be about 3/4ths of an inch.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I got a dozen LESCO spreaders...........They are all for sale. Some new. Some nearly new. The rest "still work". PM me if you want any, cuz it's a hassle listing them on ebay. Reason for selling: None of my guys want to use LESCO spreaders anymore after they tried the Spyker 288's. Local pickup preferred.