Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-02-2007, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm sorry, I meant lime instead of calcium. (I am an amatuer)The yellow spots did seem to be where the straw was bunched up from when the rain washed it together in clumps now that I think about it. I am thinking maybe it is from holding the moisture in in those areas. We did do a soil sample, and where we did it we took the appropriate steps.( I do not remember exactly what that was.....MY wife took care of that part) Do you guys still think we s hould fertilize it again? Any other suggestions before going into the winter. I have also heard that if you need to seed that you should seed right before a big snow. Is that true, or is that just an old myth? Thanks again guys, you have been very helpful.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Liberty. I didn't see your post until after I posted that last one. I will fertilize it again asap. Thanks again guys
Old 12-02-2007, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

After reading your response to my questions and viewing other responses, I too agree that it's a lack of fertilizer. Usually when seeding, I apply a good quality Starter Fertilizer on the same day that I seed. Three weeks later, I apply a second dose of it. Three weeks after that, I look at the lawn and if it's not coming in too well at that time, I'll apply another dose of the Starter. I'll continue to do this until the lawn is full and thick. If it does become full and thick by the time I'm ready for the 3rd application, I'll switch over to a regular fertilizer or combo product (whichever may be needed at that time.)
Old 12-02-2007, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra View Post
After reading your response to my questions and viewing other responses, I too agree that it's a lack of fertilizer. Usually when seeding, I apply a good quality Starter Fertilizer on the same day that I seed. Three weeks later, I apply a second dose of it. Three weeks after that, I look at the lawn and if it's not coming in too well at that time, I'll apply another dose of the Starter. I'll continue to do this until the lawn is full and thick. If it does become full and thick by the time I'm ready for the 3rd application, I'll switch over to a regular fertilizer or combo product (whichever may be needed at that time.)
You beat me to it! I follow behind a couple seeding guys and that's my program as well. They do the pre-plant starter, then I follow with 3 apps. of starter, .75 lbs. N per app., 3 weeks apart, then go into a maintenance program.
Member Mich. Turfgrass Foundation (MTF)
Old 12-03-2007, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with all the statements about the need for additional fertilizer.
This could be the problem.

But I also have a gut instinct that this stand of turf may be missing a little of the notorious seventeenth nutrient : OXYGEN!
I see this happen sometimes with lawns that get 'babied' too much with water, especially after everything is up and already growing well, and it is over watered.
In many cases the nutrients are there, but there's not enough open pore space left from all of the water saturation.

Yes...I know it's on a slope... but slopes can be soaked too much too...
Old 12-03-2007, 01:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

it needs more fert man. it has been too long especially for a cheaper starter fert to last this long and with plenty or water to leach the minerals away. needs fert. one other thing is the colder temps can do this especially where soil structure differs from area to area in a lawn, new or not. more than that i still think it is fert without diagnosing on site
Old 12-03-2007, 06:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Guys: Don't you think there's a dormancy issue here also? All of that Nitrogen will soon be lost. Probably could use a good soil test, and a little potash for now and wait a little on the Nitrogen.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Member

I don't think dormancy is really the issue here because these areas that are yellow never turned green like the rest of the yard did.Most of the yard is still really rich green and thick. To be honest, I am really quite impressed on how nice most of the yard is considering I had NEVER planted a yard before. I just got imy nfo from this site and what info my wife gathered elsewhere. I am really very grateful for all of the help I have received from here. BTW what is potash?
Old 12-03-2007, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottm1 View Post
I don't think dormancy is really the issue here because these areas that are yellow never turned green like the rest of the yard did.Most of the yard is still really rich green and thick. To be honest, I am really quite impressed on how nice most of the yard is considering I had NEVER planted a yard before. I just got imy nfo from this site and what info my wife gathered elsewhere. I am really very grateful for all of the help I have received from here. BTW what is potash?
Potash is a generice term for Potassium.

When you look at an analysis on a fert bag you will see three sets of digits. the first number is the Nitrogen (N), the second number is Phosphorus (P) and the third number is the Potassium (K).

Example: If you buy fert and it has 32-3-8, that means that the product has 32% Nitrogen, 3% Phosphorus and 8% Potassium.

It is important to have suffecient potassium levels in the soil as plants need potassium to:
-helps the translocation of sugars within the plant
-stomatal function or turgor pressure of cells
-can help with disease pressure
-drought recovery
-and several other imporatant things such as respiration, photosynthisis ect.

Every element has its own importance in the plant, but K is one of them at the top for overall plant health!
Old 12-03-2007, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree on the lack of N.

Even if he did fertilize it.. This time of year, he won't see the results until next spring.