Register free!

Old 12-02-2007, 03:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra View Post
I simply replied that based on your post, you were saving money between the products and then you listed the 13-18-22 analysis. I pointed out that more bags would be needed (based on the analysis, to provide 1# of N per 1,000 sq.ft. I never once stated that you ripped people off. By the way, your 13-18-22 analysis sounded more like a starter fertilizer than a regular fertilizer. I'm glad that it actually turned out to be an 18-13-22 instead. However, that's a lot of P to be applying on a regular basis and because P doesn't move through the soil, you're taking a chance at having an overabundance of it. Phosphorus levels in my neck of the woods are all through the roof and that's why the majority of the companies out this way use products that are very low in P.

You go on to state that you customize all of your lawn programs and apply what each lawn needs. With that being said, you must do extensive soil tests for each and every lawn and offer 100's of different programs? That seems highly unlikely and would seem like a perfect way of "over-analyzing" something to the point where it wouldn't even be profitable.

By the way, I don't use any 46-0-0.

Yes I do soil samples for EVERY lawn EVERY year. Many of my jobs are in the same neighborhoods which allows me to be able to customize the programs. I have 9 homes on one street and they all have the same soil results. Also you didn't read closely because if you did you would have read how I apply this to lawns that NEED this fertilizer the same way I have put down 9-23-30 before.
Also I don't charge one price for fertilizing someones lawn they get a bid after the soil sample comes back then if its 9-23-30 they pay more but if their sample comes back A-ok then they will get for example 32-3-8. If you want to just be a Show and Go like ChemLawn and use the same products on all lawns then be my guest. I'm almost guessing you didn't go to school because if you did then you would have been taught that you can't give all the lawns the same thing.
Also to other people its true DON'T us high P because it can cause water contamination over time. Only use if necessary.
Also most of my props are over 1 acre with many being 3 acres which makes it more profitable to do so.

Also I should tell you all how I live 30 seconds away from Southwest Landmark and the nearest Lesco is a 45 min drive.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Gateway,

I got prices from SW Landmark and they were higher then Lesco on almost everything. Again...you need to compare apples to apples when comparing prices. I was looking at 32-35% N products with 50% SCU and Pre.

As far as soil testing every lawn every year...that is such a waste of TIME and MONEY! Soils don't change much unless there is soil removal (erosion or physical removal), clippling removal.

I never pull soil sample on lawns unless their is a problem, or I am renovating or seeding a new lawn. I would't soil test anymore then every four years.

You keep bringing up our education and acting like lawns are complicated.

Yes I am educated, and have a very extensive background in fertility. I farm and also worked in the ag retail business for about 10 years selling fert and making fert recs.

But lawns are so SIMPLE!

If you have a good P, K and pH....all you need is a good N source with SCU and some Fe. In most cases here in this part of OH, the P and K is through the roof and pH is high. Why would you use anything else other then a 32% maintenance fert "like you say chem lawn does". Why add expensive P and K WHEN IT ISN'T NEEDED.

Do what is right...but keep it simple!
Old 12-02-2007, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatewayuser View Post
haha mine went up also. Already switched suppliers I got at the new place 13-18-22 SCU with Micro Nutrients for $9/ 50lb bag. and I only bought 10. Think of the skid price . Lesco was also $3 a bag more expensive on mag chloride ice treatment and 15cents a bag more expensive on rock salt.

Who is your new supplier?????????????????
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 12-02-2007, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

forget it i should have read all posts--
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
Old 12-02-2007, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

my brain is still frozen from working outside yesterday 22 deg and today
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
Old 12-02-2007, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Gateway,

I reread this thread as I was confused about a couple of things that were stated.

At the beginning of this post your stated you just bought 10 bags of fert from a "new" supplier...then in another thread you state that your customers could tell a big difference from you "new product" vs. using the Lesco fert.

If you are going into a lawn with a 10% Fe product (which you only used 10 bags) then of course they are going to tell a big difference. But you will not ever use this product every time!

Again you need to compare apples to apples when comparing product performance and price!
Old 12-02-2007, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I saw that too. I also noticed that he said that he switched suppliers but later on, he states that he's 30 seconds from South West Landmark and 45 minutes from the nearest LESCO. It sounds to me like he's always been doing business with South West Landmark and only uses LESCO as a backup. It only makes sense, considering the travel distance needed to pick up supplies.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
Gateway,

I reread this thread as I was confused about a couple of things that were stated.

At the beginning of this post your stated you just bought 10 bags of fert from a "new" supplier...then in another thread you state that your customers could tell a big difference from you "new product" vs. using the Lesco fert.

If you are going into a lawn with a 10% Fe product (which you only used 10 bags) then of course they are going to tell a big difference. But you will not ever use this product every time!

Again you need to compare apples to apples when comparing product performance and price!

No they didn't say anything about this product I was talking about a different fertilizer with 50% SR. I used Lesco for 3 yrs but this switched the majority to landmark. However I do still use lesco for my Pre-E because it better. I also buy all my seed from them. I do compare apples to apples don't worry! I compared 19-0-6 with .10% Dimension to 19-0-5 with the .10% Dimension and lesco was cheaper. Starter fert they are more expensive.

Yes, landmark is 30 seconds from me which is another perk since my time is worth $60 per hour and then the extra fuel. So after that said thats an extra $140 for "cheaper" fertilizer so is it still ''cheaper.''
Old 12-03-2007, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatewayuser View Post
No they didn't say anything about this product I was talking about a different fertilizer with 50% SR. I used Lesco for 3 yrs but this switched the majority to landmark. However I do still use lesco for my Pre-E because it better. I also buy all my seed from them. I do compare apples to apples don't worry! I compared 19-0-6 with .10% Dimension to 19-0-5 with the .10% Dimension and lesco was cheaper. Starter fert they are more expensive.

Yes, landmark is 30 seconds from me which is another perk since my time is worth $60 per hour and then the extra fuel. So after that said thats an extra $140 for "cheaper" fertilizer so is it still ''cheaper.''

OK! Now I am really confused...but who cares. You said at the beginning:

"haha mine went up also. Already switched suppliers I got at the new place 13-18-22 SCU with Micro Nutrients for $9/ 50lb bag. and I only bought 10. Think of the skid price".

And now you get everything at Landmark but your Pre M.

Guess it ain't for me to figure out.

Good Luck!
Old 12-03-2007, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
OK! Now I am really confused...but who cares. You said at the beginning:

"haha mine went up also. Already switched suppliers I got at the new place 13-18-22 SCU with Micro Nutrients for $9/ 50lb bag. and I only bought 10. Think of the skid price".

And now you get everything at Landmark but your Pre M.

Guess it ain't for me to figure out.

Good Luck!
Pre-E, 32-3-8 fert, liquid chemicals and seed like I said in other posts. Nothing to be confused about.