Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-16-2007, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

30 10 gallon pots with 2 helpers?
Go to IHOP for breakfast and you will be done in time for lunch at Mickey D's.
10 gallon is only 16" wide.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are doing this for a friend, figure out your labor costs per hour or per day and add any materials you will use and bill accordingly. If I were to plant those for a paying client and was going to guarantee them, we get around 3X the cost of the plant, installed. That's after figuring plant, material & labor costs and adding in profit.

Your best amendment for planting these trees is compost or humus. There is no need or reason to add peat moss, as it has no nutritional value, will lower the PH due to it's acidity, but will retain moisture. Just putting a layer of topsoil on the ground is like putting butter cream icing on a nasty cake. Once you get through the top layer, it's still nasty down below. Leylands are very shallow and fibrously rooted, so you may have to stake to keep them upright if there are open to winds. because they are an evergreen and do not go dormant in the winter, they will need to be watered on a regular basis so they do not dessicate during the dry, windy periods of winter. Another additive worth considering, especially at this time of the year in questionable soil is something with mycrorhizae, like Roots transplant Step 1, Espoma Bio-Tone Starter Plus or similar products. These products will encourage root growth, provide some natural fertilizers and many contain a water holding gel so the plant roots do not dry out between waterings.

Plant them high & they'll stay alive, plant them deep and you will put them to sleep. Your better off planting them around 10' apart and staggered if you can rather than in a straight line. A leyland hedge can and will reach 30'-40'in height relatively quickly. Leylands, when happy, tend to double in height every 3 years. Also, by planting only one type of plant, you risk catastrophic losses from pest or disease problems which are very prevalent with leylands. You may want to mix in some Green Giants for a difference in texture and color and plant a little tighter to achieve similar results.

Kirk
Old 11-16-2007, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You said hedge. Does that mean you're going to shear them? If you are, then plant them close, if not...at least 10 ft.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thnks for the help everybody. It took 8 hours with two 3 guys and an skid steer to do the job and my back is killing me. one hole I couldn't break trough the clay, went extra deep and wide so water would have a place to drain i gave up and planted after 30min. I don't know where the got the top soil for this Development but it crap full of rocks and hard as cement. all the new grass that was planted in this yard is dead no where for the roots to go.
Romans 8:28
"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God"
Old 11-22-2007, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Member

I planted 20 last spring 7' apart...I wish that I would of good 10'. With proper watering and fertilizer application the grow fast!
Old 12-02-2007, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like your either in norther new jersey or by princeton. That nice orange red mixture. Could help to use dynamite! I once dug a 12" ditch 30' up there, took 2 guys 4 hours! Sparks from the iron.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

the trees were installed in Vineland NJ south jersey
Romans 8:28
"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God"
Old 12-03-2007, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would say 10' is the MINIMUM you would ever want to plant them apart. Around here, they get at least 20' wide, 10' each way - EASILY. And they get there within 5-6 years. I have removed leylandii cypress more than once because they were planted at 10' spacing and then got way too crowded.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 12-03-2007, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

LOL JIM...the homeowners around here have small properties and are the definition of the UGLY american. They don't care about 10 years down the road. They all plan to sell their house within 5 years and retire rich from the proceeds. Trying to persuede them to plant in a sustainable manner is like saying..."I don't want the job"
Old 12-03-2007, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, that sucks....

But in that case I would go ahead and space them 5'-10' apart with the disclaimer, "Most people I work for prefer them spaced close together so there's more of an instant screen, as opposed to waiting 5-10 years for them to fill in. So I'm guessing you'd like them spaced that close as well. I'll go ahead and do that. But understand that if you're still living here in about 7 years you're going to be paying me to remove every other tree at that time because they're going to be growing all into each other by that point."

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon