Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-04-2007, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Prior Notification People

FL has people who require 24-hours notice prior to spraying pesticides because they are sensitive. I assume other states do too. My question for those who have to do this is how do you go about it? The notice can be by phone, mail or face-to-face. What's best and how do you record it to protect yourselves?

There is only one person in my county but they are in a neighborhood I plan to market in the spring.

Thanks,
Old 12-04-2007, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wooley

Winning the War is the important thing with these people. Many people have reactions to all kinds of Chemicals. However those who take the time to Register with the State and get the proper medical documentation can sometimes be the real PITA. Some of these people are just tree hugger and have no allergic reactions.

First time is best to meet them Face to Face. Size them up and decide if they are going to be easy or hard to work with. Be kind and sound like you are really concerned about their safety. A little honey can go a long way. After That call and ask them what might be a better time for you to schedule their neighbors spray. Once again if you can get them on your side, you lose the battle but win the war. However if they are like Ann Mason of Sarasota who is famous in the whole State as a PITA, Find out when her next Tree Hugger meeting is at her house and schedule the spray at the same time. Be sure to over spray your pure potable water all over the place.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ric,

Thanks for the advice. Do you keep a record of notifications? or a note on the chemical log for the property "adjacent/contiguous"? I may be paranoid but that doesn't mean someone is not out to get me. Paranoids have enemies too.

I was only planning to have a couple sprayers on the trailer but based on your suggestion I may need a third with some of my old nuclear hazard placards (from a previous life) attached for the H2O bottle. Or maybe not. You have to be careful when you play with the humor impaired.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wooley

To my knowledge the State does not require records for Notification of Chemically sensitive people. However from a liability stand point, I would suggest all the documentation you can muster. In my first post I only addressed Tree Huggers problems per say. However there are a few people who honestly have problems. This is why I would suggest a personal visit to these individuals the first time to size them up. If they answer the door with an Oxygen bottle in tow, I would go out of my way to work with them.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good advice. In our state, one is required to only make one phone call to the problem neighbor. Their property must be adjacient to our customer's property. If they do not answer their phone, just leave a message. That's it. No log is required, but my state recommends it. Since 1990, we've had two people that requested (via the State) pre-notification. Currently we have none, as both customers have since moved cuz they were tired of dealing with their idiot neighbors.