Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-03-2007, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would shy away from path, or area lights... I wouldn't want to look at them all, all day long.

See the effect, not the source.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 12-03-2007, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

At this point iIthink path lights are what I'm going to use.

Nobody is going to look at them "all day long". They will be run from a switch when the area is used, but I don't expect it is used except for on weekends. Otherwise they will be visible only from above, and in that large expanse of landscape, once the plants are installed and start to grow, I think they'll blend right in.

Right now I'm favoring the FX FG, because the look blends well with the setting, they will weather nicely, and the light is slightly forward of the fixture, but not so much of an angle to be a glare problem (I think.) I will see if I can get them with wedge base socket and use some 912s or a Xenon equivalent.

My other reason is they will light up the plants that spill over the wall. I don't recall what they are going to be, but I'm imagining creeping rosemary, purple lantana or other spreading groundcovers with flowers and Mediterranean themed perennials.

On the stairs themselves I'm considering the pathlights on one side and something like the Cast Decklight on the other.

For soft uplighting of some of the walls along and up the slope I'll be using Nightscaping Sazliters w/ wedge base Xenon lamps.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Scapes View Post
Anthony!! I gotta disagree with your mounting ideas.

I wouldnt fish the wire straight in... I would enlarge the hole thru an existing crack and install a small piece of flex conduit to protect the wire should the wall settle (hello ever feel an earthquake out that way ? How about loma prieta??) then slip my wire thru that. A hammer drill with a 3/4 inch bit would slide right thru there. Then leave about a foot of the lead in wire behind the wall for service in the future and find a place to mount your light. It doesnt have to be completely flat... you can shim it up with some stainless strips if you need a few degrees of adjustment. I would consider lighting the plants as needed but I would try to keep the fixtures concealed / blended in during the day and keep disturbance of the wall. I really feel an aged cast deck light or if you patina one it will work well here. Best bet is to grab a few fixtures and go demo it. Make sure you and the client are on the same page here.
Hey Billy!!,

I'm open to any suggestions you wish to offer. Since we are out here on the East.. life is pretty boring.. No earthquakes or Loma Prieta (I thought it was a animal! lol). You make a very valid point. Every geographic region has it's particulars. I'd like to hear more of problems/improvements that you run into on an installation.

Last edited by ChampionLS; 12-05-2007 at 05:32 PM.