Register free!

Old 12-07-2007, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete scalia View Post
Joey that's a good point. I couldn't live with myself if I placed a monstrosity that could cause harm to children. I bet it gets so hot that if a child touched it. heaven forbid I don't even want to think about it.
The INTEGRA Liter (GD-0402-BR) is solid cast brass, with about a 1/4" thick wall/cap. Heat dissipation is excellent and by using 10 or 20w xenon bi-pin lamps, the heat created is not an issue at all... They only get warm to the touch.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 12-07-2007, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post
And I assume you power them up with a UL 1563 Pool and Spa rated transformer plugged into a GFCi receptacle. Whose Pool and Spa did you use??

I make one if you need to retrofit!!!

Wiring and lighting on a dock structure above a lake is a totally different application then pool and spa installations. GFCI breakers on the primary circuits, all SJOW 12/3 wire, fully grounded circuits throughout is the safe way to go. If installing into a new structure, you have the opportunity to run all your wire in conduit which is extra nice.

Have a safe day.

www.integralighting.com

Old 12-07-2007, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Solecki - INTEGRA View Post
Wiring and lighting on a dock structure above a lake is a totally different application then pool and spa installations. GFCI breakers on the primary circuits, all SJOW 12/3 wire, fully grounded circuits throughout is the safe way to go. If installing into a new structure, you have the opportunity to run all your wire in conduit which is extra nice.

Have a safe day.
You make no mention of the transformer you are using? The wire and the circuits you covered but what if lightning strikes and somehow crosses the 120v and 12v at your tf?
Old 12-07-2007, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The transformers have fully separated and grounded shielding between the primary and secondary sides, the primaries are GFCI protected at the panel by a breaker for that purpose, the secondaries are fuse protected, and the individual branch circuits are fully grounded from the fixture back to the transformer and panel ground. We are safe. (Lighting strikes the lakes all the time -"water strike" ... I have never had a dock system affected.)

www.integralighting.com

Old 12-07-2007, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds very safe.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like we are in the same "BOAT" here. I would say the only disadvantage of those lights would be a snagging hazard for dock lines, or someone getting in/out of a boat and tripping over it. Dock lighting isn't easy. How big is the installation footprint? Does it jeopardize the integrity of most decking boards? Gotta watch little screws and tools around the water. One little slip and it's gone.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Dock Lighting

You definitely have to have an understanding of how the dock is laid out and how the client intends to use the dock. I don't like to install dock lights until all of the other boating / tie up infrastructure is in place. (Cleats, Whips, Swim Ladders, etc etc) This way you can be sure not to position the fixtures in the way of lines or entrance / egress points.

99% of our docks here are cedar 2x8 boards & fascia mounted over steel pilings and frameworks. I use 2" or 3" long Stainless steel Truss head screws to mount the fixture to the dock boards. This creates a very sturdy installation with little to no damage to the decking. I have actually seen a 26' Sea Ray that was mistakenly tied to a dock using the INTEGRAliters as cleats! No damage to the fixtures, dock or boat.

There are of course other alternatives, Both VISTA and Hadco make "beacon' fixtures that can be used to light docks, but they are tall, obtrusive, sometimes composite in construction, and offer a 360 deg. glare filled light output that is not DSF. For residential applications, they are not very appropriate. They look like miniature light houses and are horrible things to look at all day long.

Have a great day.

www.integralighting.com