Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 12-08-2007, 12:10 PM
Chris J Chris J is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Maldive Islands
Posts: 2,107
Gregg / Matt:
I'll take your advise and just keep my nose out of it. Just so you will understand my position, I look at it like this: If you were a irrigation guy here in my neighborhood, and was looking for a quick lesson in lighting, I would have a real problem with these guys helping you take business from me. There are far too many non-lighting pros in my area who install lights just for the extra money. Ultimately, I end up having to fix or undo these installations because someone like yourself didn't take the time to learn enough about this trade before getting into (then out of) the business.
Sorry to step on your toes, but you don't see me over in the irrigation forum trying to learn irrigation do you? If my irrigation needs work, or if I have a customer who needs an irrigation system, I will refer them to a professional who can do the job adequately.
Have a Merry Christmas.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-08-2007, 12:13 PM
Chris J Chris J is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Maldive Islands
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Solecki - INTEGRA View Post
Gee thanks for the great tip Chris.... It never dawned on me to ever check the voltage at my fixtures.... ummm how would I do this? Should I stick the wires on my tongue to see how they taste or is there a meter or something that I could use?


Have a great weekend.


Lighten up James. Sometimes I just want to have some fun.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 12-08-2007, 01:43 PM
irrig8r irrig8r is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 4,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
Gregg / Matt:
I'll take your advise and just keep my nose out of it. Just so you will understand my position, I look at it like this: If you were a irrigation guy here in my neighborhood, and was looking for a quick lesson in lighting, I would have a real problem with these guys helping you take business from me. There are far too many non-lighting pros in my area who install lights just for the extra money. Ultimately, I end up having to fix or undo these installations because someone like yourself didn't take the time to learn enough about this trade before getting into (then out of) the business.
Sorry to step on your toes, but you don't see me over in the irrigation forum trying to learn irrigation do you? If my irrigation needs work, or if I have a customer who needs an irrigation system, I will refer them to a professional who can do the job adequately.
Have a Merry Christmas.

Well, maybe the perfectly ideal solution would be for Matt to find a professional in his neighborhood and trade services... but I didn't think of it.

Happy Festivus.
__________________
Landscaper. Irrigator. Illuminator. Music lover. Coffee drinker.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 12-08-2007, 03:13 PM
hoskm01's Avatar
hoskm01 hoskm01 is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Phoenix Metro
Posts: 5,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
Gregg / Matt:
I'll take your advise and just keep my nose out of it. Just so you will understand my position, I look at it like this: If you were a irrigation guy here in my neighborhood, and was looking for a quick lesson in lighting, I would have a real problem with these guys helping you take business from me. There are far too many non-lighting pros in my area who install lights just for the extra money. Ultimately, I end up having to fix or undo these installations because someone like yourself didn't take the time to learn enough about this trade before getting into (then out of) the business.
Sorry to step on your toes, but you don't see me over in the irrigation forum trying to learn irrigation do you? If my irrigation needs work, or if I have a customer who needs an irrigation system, I will refer them to a professional who can do the job adequately.
Have a Merry Christmas.
I understand your concern for losing business. But... I specifically stated that I couldnt care less about doing lighting professionally here and wasnt planning to, just that I wanted a little help with my own little problem so this whole bunch of fluff could be avoided.

You are welcome in the irrigation forum anytime, as is anyone; there are many helpful folks there, including myself, and theres a warm plate of cookies on the counter, help yourself.

And I dont do half-***** jobs with materials I dont know, so no, you dont go fix jobs that "someone like myself" put in.


"Its a festivus for the rest of us!"
__________________
Crayons taste like Purple

Last edited by Michael J. Donovan; 12-08-2007 at 05:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 12-08-2007, 04:01 PM
INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting's Avatar
INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Muskoka, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,969
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post


Lighten up James. Sometimes I just want to have some fun.
Chris, that was light... hence the humour I tried to insert there... My Wife says my humour is dry, so I dont blame you for not seeing my effort.

Have a great weekend.
__________________
James Solecki
INTEGRA ~ Bespoke Lighting Systems ®
JSLDesign Inc.


www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 12-09-2007, 09:54 AM
Pro-Scapes's Avatar
Pro-Scapes Pro-Scapes is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Mississippi
Posts: 4,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoskm01 View Post
I understand your concern for losing business. But... I specifically stated that I couldnt care less about doing lighting professionally here and wasnt planning to, just that I wanted a little help with my own little problem so this whole bunch of fluff could be avoided.

You are welcome in the irrigation forum anytime, as is anyone; there are many helpful folks there, including myself, and theres a warm plate of cookies on the counter, help yourself.

And I dont do half-***** jobs with materials I dont know, so no, you dont go fix jobs that "someone like myself" put in.


"Its a festivus for the rest of us!"

To chris... I seriously doubt some waterhead is gonna take away from your business by installing malibus. and he DID state he didnt want anything to do with lighting. sorry we were so eager to help someone out. I helped my local irrigation contractor figure out lighting at his house. He doesnt have time nor desire to do it and we reffer eachother for work when possible.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 12-09-2007, 10:10 AM
Chris J Chris J is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Maldive Islands
Posts: 2,107
Again,
Sorry for getting involved. I know you "said" you had no intentions of doing lighting, but there are some that would say this just so the others would be more willing to help.
I also did not say that you installed half-***** systems. I said people like yourself (meaning irrigation contractors in general), and yes I do a lot of clean up for these folks. However, I'm not saying that all non-lighting contractors install bad systems either.
My nose is officially out of this topic. Sorry for the disruption.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 12-09-2007, 10:16 AM
Az Gardener Az Gardener is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Phoenix, Az
Posts: 3,895
I didn't read the whole thread so I don't know if you ever got a answer. I was dong low voltage long before multi taps and while the first lights would be brighter with higher voltage the others would still not be the same.

The fix is to put a bit more wire in the ground. Run doubles or 2 strands of 12 gauge wire to the center of the strand then the lights will have about equal voltage and the drop will be minimal because you ran more wire. Also spend a couple of bucks on pin tites for the connections.

I have had some truck issues but I would still like to get together I will be in touch. Go Cardinals!
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 12-10-2007, 03:53 PM
NightScenes's Avatar
NightScenes NightScenes is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kingsland, Texas
Posts: 2,194
Do not try this at home boys and girls!! I have been busy for the past few days and so I'm quite late in chiming in here. Here is a suggestion. You MUST pay very close attention though. Use a "loop" method. Attach a wire onto the end of your daisy chain, making absolutely sure to maintain polarity. This means that you must connect the smooth wire to smooth and ribbed to ribbed. This is VERY important. Take that wire and run it back to the transformer and hook it up exactly as you did the first wire, smooth with smooth and ribbed with ribbed. Once again, this is VERY important. This way you are feeding the lights from both ends and evening out the voltage between them. They should all be about the same when you are done. If you do not maintain polarity though, "BOOM"!! The world as you know it might end. (JK) You will however burn up your transformer.
__________________

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
Director, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 12-10-2007, 05:26 PM
Pro-Scapes's Avatar
Pro-Scapes Pro-Scapes is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Mississippi
Posts: 4,224
if im not mistaken he has malibu boxes... if im not mistaken or at least all the ones i have seen wont safely take 2 number 12 wires. If you do try this make sure your connections are clean and tight so that you do not burn things up. I dont think there is secondary breakers on this
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:21 PM.

Page generated in 0.11801 seconds with 9 queries