Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-08-2007, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Gregg / Matt:
I'll take your advise and just keep my nose out of it. Just so you will understand my position, I look at it like this: If you were a irrigation guy here in my neighborhood, and was looking for a quick lesson in lighting, I would have a real problem with these guys helping you take business from me. There are far too many non-lighting pros in my area who install lights just for the extra money. Ultimately, I end up having to fix or undo these installations because someone like yourself didn't take the time to learn enough about this trade before getting into (then out of) the business.
Sorry to step on your toes, but you don't see me over in the irrigation forum trying to learn irrigation do you? If my irrigation needs work, or if I have a customer who needs an irrigation system, I will refer them to a professional who can do the job adequately.
Have a Merry Christmas.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Solecki - INTEGRA View Post
Gee thanks for the great tip Chris.... It never dawned on me to ever check the voltage at my fixtures.... ummm how would I do this? Should I stick the wires on my tongue to see how they taste or is there a meter or something that I could use?

Have a great weekend.

Lighten up James. Sometimes I just want to have some fun.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
Gregg / Matt:
I'll take your advise and just keep my nose out of it. Just so you will understand my position, I look at it like this: If you were a irrigation guy here in my neighborhood, and was looking for a quick lesson in lighting, I would have a real problem with these guys helping you take business from me. There are far too many non-lighting pros in my area who install lights just for the extra money. Ultimately, I end up having to fix or undo these installations because someone like yourself didn't take the time to learn enough about this trade before getting into (then out of) the business.
Sorry to step on your toes, but you don't see me over in the irrigation forum trying to learn irrigation do you? If my irrigation needs work, or if I have a customer who needs an irrigation system, I will refer them to a professional who can do the job adequately.
Have a Merry Christmas.

Well, maybe the perfectly ideal solution would be for Matt to find a professional in his neighborhood and trade services... but I didn't think of it.

Happy Festivus.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Gregg / Matt:
Have a Merry Christmas.
I understand your concern for losing business. But... I specifically stated that I couldnt care less about doing lighting professionally here and wasnt planning to, just that I wanted a little help with my own little problem so this whole bunch of fluff could be avoided.

You are welcome in the irrigation forum anytime, as is anyone; there are many helpful folks there, including myself, and theres a warm plate of cookies on the counter, help yourself.

And I dont do half-***** jobs with materials I dont know, so no, you dont go fix jobs that "someone like myself" put in.

"Its a festivus for the rest of us!"

Last edited by Michael J. Donovan; 12-08-2007 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

:
Quote:

Lighten up James. Sometimes I just want to have some fun.
Chris, that was light... hence the humour I tried to insert there... My Wife says my humour is dry, so I dont blame you for not seeing my effort.

Have a great weekend.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 12-09-2007, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoskm01 View Post
I understand your concern for losing business. But... I specifically stated that I couldnt care less about doing lighting professionally here and wasnt planning to, just that I wanted a little help with my own little problem so this whole bunch of fluff could be avoided.

You are welcome in the irrigation forum anytime, as is anyone; there are many helpful folks there, including myself, and theres a warm plate of cookies on the counter, help yourself.

And I dont do half-***** jobs with materials I dont know, so no, you dont go fix jobs that "someone like myself" put in.

"Its a festivus for the rest of us!"

To chris... I seriously doubt some waterhead is gonna take away from your business by installing malibus. and he DID state he didnt want anything to do with lighting. sorry we were so eager to help someone out. I helped my local irrigation contractor figure out lighting at his house. He doesnt have time nor desire to do it and we reffer eachother for work when possible.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Again,
Sorry for getting involved. I know you "said" you had no intentions of doing lighting, but there are some that would say this just so the others would be more willing to help.
I also did not say that you installed half-***** systems. I said people like yourself (meaning irrigation contractors in general), and yes I do a lot of clean up for these folks. However, I'm not saying that all non-lighting contractors install bad systems either.
My nose is officially out of this topic. Sorry for the disruption.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I didn't read the whole thread so I don't know if you ever got a answer. I was dong low voltage long before multi taps and while the first lights would be brighter with higher voltage the others would still not be the same.

The fix is to put a bit more wire in the ground. Run doubles or 2 strands of 12 gauge wire to the center of the strand then the lights will have about equal voltage and the drop will be minimal because you ran more wire. Also spend a couple of bucks on pin tites for the connections.

I have had some truck issues but I would still like to get together I will be in touch. Go Cardinals!
Old 12-10-2007, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Do not try this at home boys and girls!! I have been busy for the past few days and so I'm quite late in chiming in here. Here is a suggestion. You MUST pay very close attention though. Use a "loop" method. Attach a wire onto the end of your daisy chain, making absolutely sure to maintain polarity. This means that you must connect the smooth wire to smooth and ribbed to ribbed. This is VERY important. Take that wire and run it back to the transformer and hook it up exactly as you did the first wire, smooth with smooth and ribbed with ribbed. Once again, this is VERY important. This way you are feeding the lights from both ends and evening out the voltage between them. They should all be about the same when you are done. If you do not maintain polarity though, "BOOM"!! The world as you know it might end. (JK) You will however burn up your transformer.

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
Director, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 12-10-2007, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

if im not mistaken he has malibu boxes... if im not mistaken or at least all the ones i have seen wont safely take 2 number 12 wires. If you do try this make sure your connections are clean and tight so that you do not burn things up. I dont think there is secondary breakers on this